Y&R: Episode discussion, week of January 18, 2010

• Members

Nikki and her various 'careers' have never rung true,poor writing aside.

Nikki's character by definition is not interested in work.MTS said so in an interview at one time when Nikki first got a job.Nikki has never matured in that sense.She's more interested in focusing on her personal life,and all that goes with being a 'trophy' wife-shopping,lunches etc.

That was where the contrast to Ashley came in and Victor's fascination with (at first)this independent,dynamic businesswoman.

Some might say that Nikki is an old fashioned character but looking at her past-poor,abused,craving attention,it defines her to this day.

You only have to look at today's reality show 'role models' to see that many young women are still of that mindset.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I never had a big problem with Nikki going to work because I thought it made sense that Nikki, finally having happiness with Victor, realizes she needs more out of life.

I can see where Nikki staying at home is a defining character trait for her, but that was when women on the show were actually allowed a point of view. That doesn't happen now, so Nikki just seems to be standing around.

• Members

i am so sick of greg rikaart's talent being wasted on y&r and instead they put the boring thad unluckinbill on more. no disrespect to emily o'brien, but jana is bringing kevin down. eob its time to go, i'm sure she can still get the emmy for arguing with patty weaver. but eob is pointless when she doesnt have stuff like that. a lot of people dislike kevin and they don't realize its because of who he's sharing scenes with. rikaart should just leave to if y&r is gonna continue treating him like this.

• Members

I soooo remember that period of time. Katherine was absolutely screwed so far as characters go, her rivalry with Jill had gone ice cold after Jill's divorce from John, Rex was dead, Phillip was dead, Nina wasn't involved with Kay, nothing. Nikki was also very, very islanded and had ceased to be relevant.

Katherine and Nikki only had each other and in that capacity, those two were FU**ED.

I did enjoy Nikki's insta-marriage because the conflict with Diane (the fierce Alex Donnelly) and Victor was just delicious because Nikki was pretty much unhinged.

Kay Alden SAVED those two characters, Kay got tempted with booze again, she reignited the Kay/Jill feud with the Chancellor mansion fight and Mackenzie's arrival in town and brought Nikki right back into the Newman fold (remember Victoooooooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, DON'T GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!).

I really wish Ma Bell from Beverly Hills treated these characters as multi faceted rather than cardboard cut out cliches.

• Members

rod-stewart11.jpg

Nikki! Nikki! Could Tucker McCall BE myson? Could it BE?!

CA+Sci+Fi+Channel+EW+Magazine+Comic+Con+Party+3FPm40-ERXRl.jpg

Katherine! Tucker McCall isn't your son! He never will be! You have people who love you! He doesn't!

Retro_Black_Knight_bust.jpg

Katherineyoulistentome! Iwilldoeverythinginmypowertohelpyouwinbackthecompanyouyhelpedtobuildfrahmthegroundup!

fantastic-mr-fox.png

And how do you expect to do THAT Mumbles? Hmm? Your own family can't even stand you!

scarecrow-final-2.jpg

Jack! You KNOW that isn't the right way to do things! You disappoint me son. Even in death. You really really do.

wind-up-teeth1.jpg

Yeah Jack! Tell him Old Man! Tell Big Bro he can't handle it! Say dad mind if I bum a few buckeroonis from my trust?!

288800-jadis_narnia.jpg

Oh Jackie! Jackie! What is going to happen to Jabot now?

Vicki%20Lawrence%20Photo.jpg

You dolt! Who CARES about Jabot? MY CHUNKY JEWELRY DEPENDS ON TUCKER'S SUCCESS!

bilbo_baggins_the_hobbit_image_lord_of_the_rings.jpg

One company! One company to possess them all!

Archived