The X-Factor: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

I don't get why they fired Paula. She seemed to be well received by viewers.

If they're doing this because they want to cause a lot of drama and controversy, it's a waste of time - it did nothing to help the ratings for the first season.

I didn't think Steve Jones was that bad either. Give me him over dead-eyed, smug Ryan Seacrets any day.

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

It's official about Paula leaving: http://www.deadline.com/2012/01/paula-abdul-comments-on-x-factor-exit/

I would love it if Cheryl Cole came back but she's not a big name in the US, and I'm sure Simon will want to bring in two big names. I think Simon's going to bring in Mariah. As for the other? Whitney Houston (my old guess)? Justin Timberlake (my young guess)?

• Members

Here goes...

I have seen 3 seasons of X Factor in the UK and it was and remains an awesome show to watch. The original panel (Simon Cowell, Irish boy band promoter Louis Walsh and Sharon Osbourne) was absolutely sensational, the show has changed over the years, but it remains excellent television.

The same cannot be said for US X Factor. It has been plagued by problems from day one. It is a disaster. It is strangely overproduced and the judging panel was off. But most tellingly, it is simply American Idol in a tweaked format and the audience isn't starved for talent competitions. This first season was dreadful to watch (aside from when that obnoxious Rachel Crowe got the boot and broke down, that was inspired)...overall I think Simon Cowell, who I think is awesome, should pack it in, go back to the UK and maintain his success where he's appreciated most.

In all honesty his time has come and gone in America. It happens to most superstars, but especially foreign personalities. He should go home.

• Members

I never missed an episode of American Idol til last year. I tried watching X Factor because it was Simon and Paula together again. There was one episode where the now fired judge had to judge an audition and cast the deciding vote. She hemmed and hawed and pretended she couldn't make up her mind while the dramatic music played, and it was obvious this was all fake and she was going to send the person through after 5 minutes of phony pausing. I just couldn't watch much more. I then saw another audition where some kid was mouthing off to Simon and it sounded so phony because no one not even the President of your local chapter of your favorite columbian drug cartel just goes on TV mouthing off for no reason whatsoever. So that was a second phony thing. And then I never watched again. It was just too fake all around.

• Members

I think Paula needs to go because the show needs a bigger shake up than just one new judge. LA Reid and Simon were both great in their roles so they're set. It's such a shame because if originally paired with Kelly Rowland (coming off the biggest hit of her solo career) and Cheryl Cole, I think we would've had a much more successful show. For one, nobody would be calling the panel D-List and Kelly and Cheryl are both young and fresh. With Cheryl you have a new star and Kelly has a broad fanbase, plus was a member of Destiny's Child. It would've been easier for Beyonce to make an appearance with the show filming in the US. BTW, Beyonce DID appear as a Mentor on the Australian version last year, so not having her on the UK or US show was shameful.

I just hope whoever they do hire to replace Nicole and Paula are good. The show has so much potential, but was so watered down and then they got desperate and forced towards the end.

• Members

I think people would still call the panel D-list with Cheryl and Kelly. Few knew who Cheryl was, and Kelly will always be overshadowed by Beyonce. Kelly was also widely reviled on the UK X-Factor, to the point of even taking a break from the show for a week.

I don't know if the panel really matters. People scorned the first AI judging panel and they were successful for many years. The problem is the setup of the show and that Simon Cowell's tricks have run out of steam. I wouldn't even put Simon on the panel.

Archived