DAYS: January Discussion

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

YAY on all three fronts, Jack you are full of good news when it comes to DAYS.

Seriously, wouldn't a Hope the Angry Bitch v. Carly the Xanaxed Slut be an amazing catfight? Sequined gowns, big hair flying, champagne glasses being hurled and all topped off with Maggie Horton careening from table to table, egging them on!

• Members

Am I the only one who is really excited for the wedding? I just love the buildup and how all the stories are intertwining together. The longterm planning and pacing on DAYS under Tomlin is really best from all soaps. I honestly can´t wait for the sweeps to start.

• Members

It's a good thing there will be so much [!@#$%^&*] going on at the wedding because I'm not feeling the wedding itself. If I have to make one criticism about Tomlin, it is that his couples are rushed and have yet to really click. Philip & Melanie are no exception. Yes, they had that ONS which was taped and put on the internet, and yes, it was a hot scene. Days still does hot love scenes (GH and Y&R having forgotten how to). But this marriage is WAY too quick. So far, I have seen more of Melanie & Philip planning this wedding apart than together. The way they have Melanie crying when Nathan gives her the cold shoulder is also telling (and speaking of, Nathan is part of two insta-couples: Stephanie & Nathan, and Nathan & Melanie which seemed more like a flirtation than anything else).

The funny thing is, maybe this works in Days' favor. Here are a few young couples who are... ok as couples. This gives the show room to maneouvre if they want to switch things around. It also leaves the show less beholden to nutso supercouple fanbases.

This isn't a critique of either actors, who are both solid and lovely to look at. Also, as characters, each stands on their own. It's not about Philip&Melanie, stories are about Philip. And Melanie. Know what I mean? Or maybe I am deluded. Maybe Philip & Melanie are a really popular pairing among Days fans?

• Members

Well. I'm a little disappointed that Maggie didn't give into her first temptation...

But I can have hope that she'll be wasted in no time...right Jack?!

Suzanne Rogers does a meltdown like no other, her scenes with Nathan were so sad, perfectly noted. Mark Hapka is Rookie of the Year, what a talent...a lot of actors don't know how to display platonic love, Hapka is superb at it, I buy Nathan's love for Maggie 100%.

Molly Burnett continues to blaze a Lucy Coe-esque trail through Salem. She's really doing a swell job as the conflicted, plucky, tart. Love her and I say that as someone who used to think she was atrocious!

Melanie and Carly, however, feels very forced. All of the accidental run ins are getting a bit ludicrous.

Alison Sweeney has always done a great job when it comes to Sami getting dumped. Her scenes with Rafe were no exception. She always does great.

EJ and Arianna...there is chemistry. Let's go there!

• Members

There is something so genuine about Mark Hapka and his portrayal of Nathan and Burnett really shines as Melanie. I would love to see about a week of scenes with Hapka and Burnett and it's just about the two of them playing opposite each other. Poor Shelly Henning though. I think it's time to send Stephanie out of Salem.

• Members

Philip & Melanie is rushed, for plot reasons. However it doesnt bother for two reasons.. the plot is good and the rushed marriage works for both characters alone, and together. Philip has always rushed, i loved that they had Vic note that to him. And Melanie has issues, deep issues. she loves nathan but its too much of a rish. shes always liked philip and now that hes into her shes all over it. A part of her also sees the power and $$$$ that come with being his wife, love that days has played that.

I agree, days is a character show. Not a couple show. Thank god.

Guest dc cubs

It appears to me they are going to start having Stephanie be a little more manipulative. I'm all for it as Steph needs something right now to make her more interesting. I don't think Phillip and Melanie will last long. Melanie will eventually end up with Nathan. If Days plans on keeping Chloe on the canvas, I'd rather see Phillip and Chloe back together. Daniel and Chloe's whole relationship is sex and I just don't buy it.

• Members

ITA. I would prefer seeing Phloe back together, to! I find Daniel and Chloe's relationship to be boring. And it is all about sex, LOL. It's basically all they do, or they have boring conversations at the hospital. That's it. Whenever Philip and Chloe are in scenes together, I instantly think of their history and how great they used to be together. I think they still can be, I feel like the show is kind of ignoring their history. I think Daniel has a lot of chemistry with Carly, or..Lexie.

I just wish Stephanie would leave Salem, I mean I don't see what else is left for her on this show...Philip obviously has no interest in her anymore. Neither does Nathan, it's clear that he wants Mel back. Stephanie is just a Brat, looking for attention. I really like Nathan and Mel together, so I have hope that they will end up together in the end.

• Administrator

That's because Philip/Melanie are not the "rooting couple" - Nathan/Melanie is. I suspect that's why Bo/Carly are being rushed too because in a year or so, the Bo/Hope reunion will begin to happen and it will be slow and steady. I wouldn't say none of Tomlin's couples work - Sami/Rafe = yes, Chloe/Dan = no, Melanie/Nathan = yes.

Archived