Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

LOL that remind me of why I save this review from a Tom Smith of Soap-News date 5/22/2003:

GUIDING LIGHT: Yeesh. I was prepared to totally rip this apart, but I’m aware that one of the people involved in creating the opening threw a hissy fit of sorts after seeing it dissected on The World of Soap Themes message board. Okay. It’s not nice to see something you worked hard on shredded by people who have no experience in music or television. 

Of course, if you really worked hard, should you be bragging about how easy it is to change the opening by going on to your hard drive? Let’s just say it: The theme song is brash and tuneless, and the opening graphics look cheap and scream computer-generated. The whole thing looks like someone wanted to capture the essence of the classic Knots Landing theme from the 80’s, but was too lazy/cheap to get it right. 

Of course, Guiding Light plays like someone’s too lazy/cheap to get it right these days.

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

TBH, I don't remember Conboy's other series, CAPITOL, having very good openings either.  In fact, the first one in particular played like the introduction to a video on D.C. tourism.  I guess he just got lucky with Y&R.

• Members

Murray Bartlett just got nominated for a Male Actor in a Limited Series SAG award for The White Lotus. The nominees in his category:

Murray Bartlett (“The White Lotus”)  

Oscar Isaac (“Scenes From a Marriage”)  

Michael Keaton (“Dopesick”) 

Ewan McGregor (“Halston”)  

Evan Peters (“Mare of Easttown”) 

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

An excellent question. People were asking that while the show was still on the air.

I think in the late 1980's and early 1990's, they didn't do that because they had SORAS'd Alan-Michael so quickly (and probably too quickly looking back at it). Part of the Alan/Hope love story was that Alan fell in love with the daughter of his arch nemesis (Michael Bauer), who was supposed to be around 20 years or so *younger* than Alan. With Alan-Michael having aged 15 "soap years" in the course of 4 "real years", that logic wouldn't be possible any longer.

Of course, it isn't as if TGL was ever adherent to their own history. I personally think in the mid 1990's, once Alan had been established again in Springfield, it would have been easy to bring back Hope. In fact, they could have done that during the 60th Anniversary Celebration, with both Mike and Hope returning to Springfield to honor Bert/Cedars, and Hope deciding to stay in Springfield.