Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

That’s actually a good starting point with Nadine first coming to Springfield and the Marah paternity and Sonni/Solita stories starting to wrap up. Hang in there because it really does get better by Spring.

So true.

I have read that Wilmore was really liked when he first came to GL but had some sort of mental breakdown in 1989. Anecdotes I’ve read including him throwing a chair across the set during a temper tantrum and also having stress induced vomiting episode during a lunch meeting with Zimmer and Long. 

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I’m glad I stuck with these 1989 uploads because now in the April episodes I’m hooked! I’m starting to see some of my favorite characters: Billy, Vanessa, Blake (albeit a Blake I don’t know), Ross, Holly. I also loved Beverly McKinsey from AW/Texas so it’s nice to see her in her other signature role. 

It’s interesting seeing Kassie DePaiva on GL. She fits in well, but this Reardon family confuses me when I look it up because it’s so big. So Chelsea is sisters to Nola and Maureen? Of course I see her interacting with Maureen, but did Chelsea ever interact with Nola? I get she was on OLTL, but it seems like a missed opportunity to never bring her back, especially once Maureen died. 

I have two questions about this family: 

1. Did anybody return for Maureen’s funeral from the Reardon family?

2. How does Bridget tie into this family? Physically she always reminded me of Nola, but I am pretty sure they aren’t mother and daughter. 

ETA:

She popped up in the episode that just started and I have to say: I DO NOT LIKE HARLEY! I never liked her in the later years and I feel the same in 1989. She’s more likable than she became, but the Cooper family was so grating in those later years that it’s going to take a lot of patience for me to enjoy them. 

Edited by Chris B

• Members

Chelsea arrived over a year after Nola left so they never interacted. I believe the Reardons returned for Maureen’s funeral but were not seen. Bridget was the daughter of Sean Reardon, brother to Nola, Tony, Maureen, Jim, Chelsea, and Lana, who was never seen. Sean had other children, including Matt.

• Members

Marland spent time establishing the Reardons as a new family but subsequent writers were more interested in their own creations and slowly the Reardons (and the Bauers) were dropped.

There was still plenty of potential for those characters eg Tony,Jim but Pam Long and others were hell bent on pushing the Shaynes and the Coopers.

The same thing happened to the Matthews. McKinnons and Loves on AW.