Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

What could have been. Probably because by the time I began to watch GL for the first time, Hope Bauer had already left the canvas, I never thought about her coming back after Maureen's death but it would have made perfect sense for so many reasons! With Alan-Michael still on the canvas, Hope would have added a very interesting dynamic.

I did get the sense that by the mid 90s that the show seemed anxious to move away from the classic soap matriarch, which was a big mistake for a show like GL.

Edited by DramatistDreamer
Ugh autocorrect

• Members

Personally, I don't think Raines had/has chemistry with anyone.  He's entirely too much of a ham.  But, that wouldn't matter to me.  Even if a Alan/Hope redo didn't pan out, I'd still want Hope to be there, keeping the Bauer family alive in some fashion.  I'd just find someone else to pair her with.

• Members

I think Mattson would've been good seeing as she did play Hope (once upon a time). 

I think Linda would've been a hoot because if they were to revisit Hope suffering from the Bauer curse (alcoholism), nobody could play a drunk better than Linda. 

I think Julia Barr would've been able to capture to softness that Hope exuded (from clips I've seen). 

Hope returning would've softened the blow of Maureen being heinously (and stupidly) killed off if done correctly. 

If they had brought her back in the early to mid 90s, they could've paired her with Fletcher. 

I wouldn't mind her being paired with Billy, but Buzz...

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Alan was definitely the worse of his soap opera ilk, the selfish multimillionaire business mogul with a string of ex-wives, a la Adam Chandler, Victor Newman, Victor Kiriakis etc. I always felt like they inserted him into plots because they needed a fall guy, his motivations rarely made sense to me (and were rarely explained frankly, "control" I guess?). He was always just the heavy in someone else's story, he didn't feel like he had any sort of inner life. They also paired him with all the "bad girls" that came on the scene (Annie, Olivia, Carmen), even if it felt inorganic and didn't make sense.

• Members

I do think that Roscoe would've been a good Alan as he would've provided sex appeal that Ron Raines' version lacked. 

Do you think that Cat could've been a good Trish recast too? For some reason, she gives me Lewis vibes. 

I think that is an issue with all soaps where 

That would've been interesting. It would've at least provided Holly story outside of Blake/Ross.

• Members

I think she might've been a little young for Trish, but then Roscoe was maybe a little young for Alan. (He did go gray right after his 2003 OLTL stint ended though, looked amazing and that would've completely sold it to me.) So who cares?