Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

Philip, biologically, is Jackie and Justin's son from a marriage that took place before any of the characters came to Springfield. Someone else who knows more about it than I do might be able to share the details of the rest of that backstory, but I think the gist is that Jackie gave Philip up to a doctor who in turn gave the baby to Alan, who had Elizabeth believe that the baby was theirs to hide the fact that their actual child was stillborn.

Roger is on trial for raping Holly. You might've just missed the episode where it actually takes place (March 6, 1979). Definitely go back and watch that one. It sucks that there aren't more consecutive episodes from throughout the time, but it's so easy to follow the stories, even with the large gaps.

Edited by All My Shadows

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Really? I never knew that! I was sure that Philip was Alan's son. I am shocked now lol But wait, does that mean that they don't know at this point in 79? Because during the Alan/Jackie fight scene, Alan makes a comment how Philip is not her son and she should be relieved he's gone to Elizabeth.

Oh really? Thanks, I will try and find this episode. Actually I only now started watching these old GL episodes and started with March 19 1979. I didn't see there was an earlier episode available. I will look for it. Thanks for letting me know!

• Members

She was really fun early in her first run fighting with Alex, Vanessa, developing a relationship with Henry, hooking up with Roger and stealing Spaulding away from the Spauldings...and then....came Buzz. I have no idea on her second run why they did not just use that time to wrap Buzz and Jenna off and move them out of town happy.

The earlier clip really makes me think DP would have been a great recast Alan. RR was just horrible, blustery, grumpy, and alternating Annie's bitch.  I hated him worse then Marj as Alex, who if given decent writing could give a more gritty version of Alex.

I think Deas is one of those industry sweethearts where the writers, producers, and actors seem to think he is a much more valuable asset then the audience does.  I really wish GL would have written him off and he went back to ATWT as Tom.

• Members

For many years only Jackie knew, which is why a confused Alan belittles Jackie for hurting so much over the custody loss and over the mind games he played with Philip to try to turn him against Elizabeth. By late 1980, Elizabeth learns the truth (I'm not sure if she also finds out Jackie is Philip's mother) and begins removing herself from Philip's life as she thinks it's the right thing to do. In 1980 or 1981, Jackie tells Justin - they talk about it when she gives birth to Samantha, and Diane overhears them. 

You can find the rape sequences, and the aftermath with Holly driving to the hospital, in clip form.

• Members

Oh thank you so much!! I just remembered that I actually have a GL dvd which was issued for German market that I never ever opened. I believe some 70s episodes should be there. Probably those you mention. I will have to check it out.

Oh wow!! Now that scene has a whole new level, knowing Jackie's pain. Oh wow!! Thank yoi for the explanation and for sharing the rape episode. I will most certainly watch it!!

• Members

I watched the rape and the aftermath. Some really good acting by Zaslow and Garrett!! 

And the rape scene was done very well. I like how at one point the camera was behind the bed, looking from Holly's perspective at Roger. Or how at point before they got to bed, the camera was looking at Roger from Holly's perspective as she was stepping away and Roger was walking towards her, looking directly into the camera. So good!

Really good stuff here!!

• Members

The Dobsons were very adamant about these scenes because the year before, they wrote scenes with Roger raping Rita, and when they watched the material onscreen, it had been turned into a seduction sequence. 

I don't think most people today would know how groundbreaking this material was, especially the rawness and ugliness. GL was always one of the more raw soaps to me, so this is was the truest representation of GL's core. 

Michael and Maureen are absolutely phenomenal. Much of the time in that first run Holly is written so passively (that is one of the reasons she ultimately left), but in this you can see just what a talent Maureen is and the skills she brought to the role when she came back in 1989.

• Members

Oh yes, indeed! I am looking forward to seeing how to goes further (well, at least what I'll be able to find on Youtube.

Please register in order to view this content

Oh the Dobsons were writing this? Wow, they wrote Eden's rape on SB, haven't they? That was so brutal and looked real... I guess they how to write a chilling rape scene. I remember Eden's rape vividly. I was a kid back then when I watched. Holly's rape did not show much and was not as brutal, obviously, but it was still chilling. As Faulkner said, some of Roger's lines were really cold and scary and the way he looked at Holly. 

• Members

I wonder how things would have turned out had the Dobson's stayed a few more written and gotten to write Roger's exit. I also don't think they would have struggled writing for Holly like Marland seemed to. 

I think it was @vetsoapfan that said the Dobson's seemed to write Ed/Holly as more of the endgame, and with the hope that they'd probably find their way back to one another. I wonder if that's what they would have ultimately done. 

• Members

Other than that tedium with Holly and her badly miscast fiance, I agree that the Dobsons seemed to have a better handle on her character. Marland seemed to write mostly bland female characters if they weren't able to be campy; it did sort of feel like there were hints she and Ed could get back together but Maureen didn't stay around for that story to conclude. I wonder how bad the atmosphere was backstage around that point.