OLTL: Erika Slezak

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The key words there are "her family". Jess, Natalie, Todd and the lot dont need Viki to prop up their stories. And she hardly ever has her own stories anymore. Fake rumor or not, she's definitely not this irreplacable icon that would cause OLTL to fall apart without her. At best the way she's been used for the last decade, she's a Myrtle or an Opal, or a Maggie Horton. She already takes these long vacations, and the show goes on. If it comes down to the show's fiscal bottom line, or Slesak, Frons will cut her so fast ...

• Members

Yes, I know. I was a fool to think the thread titled "Erika Slezak" might not have meant "eat out Deidre Hall." A naive young fool! She's still big, it's the pictures that have gotten small! Incidentally your assessment of Viki's importance in the last ten years is wildly inaccurate, starting with the horrible but frontburner Ben romance and continuing with Natalie, Allison Perkins, Charlie, Tess, etc. I know these stories did not involve her killing half the town with a Percocet smile but they were rather central.

Sorry if people don't like hearing it but I get a bit tired of people trundling into unrelated threads loaded to bear about some minor bullshit. "Did SOMEONE...say MARLENA... is not IMPORTANT???"

• Members

I felt getting rid of the DHs at this time was a foolish killing blow to DAYS, even though I often can't stand them. I recognize the characters' importance. But DAYS has given its core short shrift for Jarlena and others for years, that's why I accept their significance. And yes, Hall is a soap icon. But do we really need another tired-ass recitation of the many media circuses of Deidre Hall and her prominence in daytime and primetime? We know. This is not about Deidre Hall. It's about Erika Slezak and OLTL surviving without her voluntary presence (Erika has always said she plans to retire eventually on her own terms), not some tit for tat over which woman is more important because someone's comment dared to graze Queen Dee's omnipotent halo.

• Members

Now that's just untrue, opinion or not. Maggie and Myrtle hadn't had stories to call their own in 30 years, Opal in over 10. Viki is still a lead character and spent late '07 and the beginning of '08 with frontburner material not to mention the years of story before then as Vee mentioned.

• Members

IA with your post. Although I don't consider her in the Opal category, Vicki was once a prominent character but she does not have the ability to garner ratings as she once did. ES does not drive her own storylines anymore and between her yearly vacations Vicki mostly props her children. Even her romance with Charlie has taken a back seat. There certainly have not been any ratings fluctuations in recent years that can be attributed to ES being on and off screen. It if came to the bottom line Frons will not hesitate to cut her but the show will survive.

• Members

Call me crazy, but I think that Erika Slezak (and other long time vets like her on all soaps) should be respected. They haven't survived this long for nothing. They are some of the greats of the soap world. Slezak, Lucci, Canary, Strasser, Braden, etc..., have all helped make soaps what they are today....they wouldn't have come this far if they didn't have talent. They tie us to their show's history, making them an icon. And they become like family to us.

All of which I think makes Slezak a woman and an actress who should earn respect from soap fans. I have never understood the need for some to tear her down, while praising no-talent actors like Cristian Fumero. Erika is a seven time award winner (6 Daytime Emmys for Lead Actress and a Soap Opera Digest Award for Favorite Couple with Mark Derwin). No other soap actress, past or present, can top that.

I don't know about anyone else, but I rally behind Viki and Erika and celebrate the contributions both the actress and the character have made to OLTL and Llanview over the years. Viki is the last Agnes Nixon created character left on OLTL, and has been there since that July 15, 1968 beginning of the soap we all love.

And Erika has been there for many of those years, celebrating 38 years on March 17th. I doubt she will have no problem making it 40 years and beyond. I think this rumor is grounded in no truth whatsoever, and Erika will remain a part of OLTL until she decided to retire, which hopefully won't be for many years yet to come.

It may sound sappy, but that's how I see it. :)

• Members

I agree that Viki hasn't been the epicenter of OLTL that she once was, but honestly, she wasn't necessarily ever the CORE. OLTL has had a LOT of big characters over the years, Asa, Bo, Clint, Tina, Dorian, Todd... but they ALL are tied to Viki.

Look at the stories going on right now. Jessica's struggle with DID only holds weight because of Viki's history and stories of the past. Take Viki out of Jessica's story and it's a completely rudderless mess. Viki is at the heart of the Jessica/Natalie rivalry as well. Viki's the one stabilizing force in Todd's life and a counterbalance to him. Their relationship is possibly one of the most reliable throughlines for Todd. Todd's humanity is reliant on his relationships with two people: Viki and Starr. The Viki/Dorian rivalry is legendary and completely integral to Dorian's relevance on the show since EVERYTHING Dorian does is in relation or reaction to Viki and the Buchanans. No matter who Dorian is plotting against, you bet it will trace right back to Viki. Viki gives Dorian's existence all its meaning. Just last year entire sets and a three month story arc was devoted to Viki and revitalizing her love life through Charlie Banks. I admit they have faded from the forefront lately, but that can change, and I hope it soon does. Viki is ABSOLUTELY necessary to the canvas. Remove Viki and you drastically change the core of: Clint, Dorian, Nora, Bo, Renee, Jessica, Natalie, Charlie, Todd, Blair, Starr, David... the list goes on. There is no one that would really be the same without Viki's presence in their lives. People wait with bated breath to see Viki's reaction to things and despite vacations from the canvas, when Slezak returned, fans were DYING for scenes with Tina, DESPERATE to see her in the middle of the Tess/Jessica/Natalie story, BREATHLESS for Viki's reaction to the Todd/Marty insanity... Viki's presence is just absolutely necessary. Nothing else that is CURRENTLY PLAYING on the show would hold as much weight if not for Viki's involvement.

And BECAUSE we are drawing comparisons... Marlena being removed from the canvas didn't really affect many of the characters lives at all. I'm not talking actresses, because that IS moot, I'm talking character relevance.

• Members

You make a very, very good point. Nearly everyone in Llanview is tied in one way or another to Viki. Of course her family is, but so are nearly all of the other characters as well. Think of David calling Viki his best friend and always seeking her advice, or Gigi's friendship with Viki and allowing her and Rex to live in the cottage house, or Moe and Noelle and their solid friendship. Everyone is connected to Viki, as it should be. Without her, a lot of the storylines would make no sense whatsoever.

• Members

This is part of why I wonder if they're phasing Viki out. Viki has become more of a bystander in the Natalie/Jessica feud. She seems helpless and when she does get involved she almost makes the problem worse. Viki only shares a few scenes a month, or less, with Todd. They've taken Todd back to being the smarmy, glib Todd who has already gone past needing redemption. They've minimized Viki's role in Dorian's vendettas. Dorian's drugging of Charlie was swept under the carpet after Dorian got back from St. Blaze's. Everything is Dorian and the Buchanans now. Even Nora is more central to the Buchanans now.

I feel like they're deliberately repositioning all of what Viki was once central in. Her strongest relationship is now with David Vickers, a recurring character. I don't think they're going to fire ES, but the past year has made me think they are setting her up to become a less and less important figure.

• Members

I think Viki's current airtime or lack thereof has much more to do with someone at the show or network prioritizing the John McBain crap and Stacy Morasco over the sisters' conflict. I also think Frons was shitting bricks over Viki and Charlie's story in 2007-8.

Archived