OLTL: Erika Slezak

• Members

I have to interrupt reading this entertaining thread by saying I love this post, especially the first sentence. I'm SO tired of the Marlena lovefest. The ratings on Days right now are indicating that life goes on. I really don't think, in these later years,Marlena was all that and a bag of chips anymore.

That being said, I hope this is a rumor, but I agree that no one is safe. But, I think OLTL is already having some difficulties WITH Vicki on, based on the ratings. It's rather disappointing. So, Vicki (like Marlena), isn't making or breaking the show. Something else is wrong. It's a sad soap that makes it or breaks it on one character only.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Erika Slezak has always been humble to a fault in her public comments. She is also a master at playing the daytime game. When she makes a cut (like she did to Dena Higley) she leaves no scar and comes off totally civil. She has to say she is dispensable, that is her personality. It doesn't happen to be true.

• Members

I think if we look at OLTL conceptually... the idea of "One Life" to Live... I think it's Viki's life. That's what the show has ideally been about, Viki. It started with her, she held it all together and if she's out, I think it will/should end with her.

• Members

Normally I would agree, but considering as how Viki is barely on this show at the moment with minimal to no air time and instead the same few are on day in and day out over and over again, I can't agree. If Viki was shown more, had feature story and then the ratings were bad, I could agree. But since Viki is not on I can't blame her character for breaking the show when others who are overexposed I would assess stronger blame to. OLTL has lost a lot of sense of balance, and that is never a good thing for any show, but most especially this show.

• Members

Not to sound unkind, and no one has mentioned this, but part of the problem with Slezak is that she is rather matronly. She doesn't have the seductive sexual viability of a Susan Lucci, or even the campy sexual viability of a Robin Strasser. I'm convinced that's the reason GH refuses to have Genie Francis back; she comes off as too matronly and patchwork quilty. Also, Slezak is not a man. Duh! Men on these shows can grow old and/or go out of shape (think Michael E Knight, Tony Geary, Bobby Woods, etc), of course within limits, but they don't suffer the same fate as aging actresses. It's a double standard. It's not fair, but it's true. I don't think that Slezak's multiple Emmys and adoration from fans/critics mean a hill of beans in this cost-saving environment. If you're not important to the bottom line, which to ABC translates into attracting 18- to 34-year-old women with enticing sexual situations, then you're not vital to the show. I watch the show occasionally and read the spoilers, and it does look as if Viki has been marginalized. I like Slezak and she definitely is the nostalgic heart and soul of the show. But to be honest, for the viewers they're desperately trying to attract, would Slezak's absence really make much of a difference? Think about that. When it comes down to it, this is probably a rumor without much merit and more than likely won't really happen. But just the fact that a substantial rumor such as this could have some basis in reality says a lot about the current state of soaps.

• Members
Nothing will attract a new or young demo to this show or any others. No one single thing. The only thing that will potentially attract a few new viewers are well-written stories, families and couples. Even GH coasts on a handful of couples.

• Members

Well, and not to sound unkind either, then how do you explain Susan Flannery? I think it's a case by case basis rather than the general feeling that sex appeal and only sex appeal is what sells in soaps. Granted, things aren't as wonderful as they once were, but to be fair, I think soaps are one of the last mediums (English soaps like Eastenders in particular) where authentic looking older folks get a chance at representation. I think tptb/tiic will find any way to justify their already made up minds and there's really no across the board rhyme or reason why decisions concerning older vets get made. SF has already expressed an interest in retiring, and I believe that that saddens (even scares?) the Bell folks, where perhaps folks at ABC would be wetting themselves with excitement to be getting rid of someone of her payscale. I truly believe that the Bell people treasure Flannery and Cooper (the proof is in the pudding), and it saddens me that I don't feel the same rallying cry for the vets over at ABC. If Agnes Nixon still owned her shows for example, things would have been a LOT different over the years minus the ever-increasing network interference. I don't believe Agnes would have watched any of her beloved creations wither on the vine save for the actors' personal decisions/illnesses, and so on.

• Members

Not to sound cliched, but comparing ABC soaps vs. the Bell soaps, and the CBS soaps in general, is like comparing apples and oranges. The CBS shows have always appealed to a more mature audience than the ABC soaps and CBS has always sought out this demo while actively pursuing the 18-34's and 18-49's. They've been able to find the right balance between the old guard and the new. CBS doesn't live and die by the demos like ABC does. ABC is ALL about sex and flash and quick fixes.

• Members

There seems to be more on this because it made the new SOD cover this week.

OLTL's web rumor about Erika Slezak being cut: Slezak, "They're focusing on other stories right now. And that's all I can really say."

Online rumors saying a female vet may be dropped has some fans wondering about Erika Slezak.

I sure hope this is not going to happen. To me OLTL just would not be the same without Erika Slezak's Viki. Wouldn't OLTL have denied this if there was nothing to it?

• Members

I don't believe that for one minute that Erika Sleazak is going anywhere! If Frons gives her the boot, there would be a major uproar beyond belief over this.

I wish Frons would be handed his walking papers like ASAP. With so many cutbacks, does Disney really need to pay someone to intervene so much in their daytime programming?

Archived