OLTL: Erika Slezak

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's cool... and I understand. You're a DAYS fan and you're probably not feeling too great about its state of affairs, either.

I'm not sure Vee was directing anything at you as much as venting frustration that the thread turned into some actor vs. actor death match. I'm not trying to be a "hall monitor," but I do think people are fighting over a moot point. It's as if "disaster" strikes daytime vets, and the fans all try to strangle each other in hysteria as their ship sinks... (And I'm not saying that we are sinking, but I know it must feel that way sometimes.)

Not that I'm sold on the Slezak rumor. It's just unfortunate that one story about one actor turns into a war between other dissed actors. It's really not serving any meaningful purpose.

• Members

Definitely not, LoL. I'll leave that for another thread though.

For you OLTL fans, I genuinely hope that this rumor isn't true. There's a disturbing trend in daytime that's been building pretty rapidly for the last ten years or so where all the shows just want to ditch their most beloved characters in favor of cheaper, more "creatively flexible" newbies. Combined with the whole economic crisis and the ratings at their lowest points ever for virtually all the soaps, it's getting pretty scary for soap fans. I feel like I'm watching my biggest love go right down the drain before my very eyes and there seems to be no long-term fix.

The character of Viki is a crucial thread in the fabric of OLTL and it would be very sad (not to mention shocking) if she were written out. It's not out of the realm of possibility though -- especially now.

• Members

TPTB don't care how famous or beloved ES/Viki is. This is about money. Lucci took a paycut and Hall got fired outright. Nobody is safe. There are really only two questions to consider: how much money does Sleazak make and is she willing to take a paycut? Because that's all that matters.

And remember the average soap viewer doesn't visit the boards or read the mags. If Sleazak takes recurring she'll pretty much become Ruth Martin or Phoebe Wallingford and if she disappears entirely, it'll be a while before anyone notices given the fact that she takes those long vacations and that fact that Viki's been marginalized for years.

• Members

Nah, it'll probably be GH because they blow sh.it up.

I fully believe someone like Viki you lose something essential that shortsightedly you thought wasn't. Viewers not in the know may not say something in that moment but they will feel it. Like they say, you don't realize you miss something until it's gone.

• Members

I wish Fan February transcended networks and we could see Slezak and Flannery trade roles for a week, but not camp it up, just play it straight as the marvelous (who says "marvelous"? I sound like Robin Strasser) actors that they are.

ANY show can survive without the likes of the actors who've been mentioned. We (with good reason) just have no faith that such could happen because our shows are devoid of the genius writers of olde who time and time again masterfully turned sows' ears into silk purses. I would miss her dearly, but OLTL *could* survive without Viki in the hands of a super capable writer. I just would not tolerate Jessica being forced down my throat as Nu/mini-Viki. Jessica's life has become a replica of her mother's and that's not creative folks, that's not good. We need new sh!t. Again, I would miss her dearly (but not as much as I missed her when she left in the late '90s after playing some of the best material she was ever blessed to play in the Victor Lord/DID storylines) but OLTL can survive without Robin Strasser, or even with a Dorian recast.

As far as Hall's position on the soap diva totem pole... We know Erika Slezak only as Viki for damn near 40 years so our attachment to her is a special one. Not saying that isn't the case for DOOL fans and their Marlena, but it is certainly not the same. Unlike Hall, or Linda Dano, or Super Star Lucci who is the industry's ambassador in a league of her own, Slezak has always been an actress to us, never a "personality". For years, I, and I'm sure many others, have sensed that NBC was always trying to pimp Hall as their Lucci equivalent, as if those two were standing on the same ground, and that simply is not true. She like Linda Dano was always involved in outside commercial projects, selling products et cetera, something Slezak or Vicki Wyndham never did which gave them less visibilty, but that just wasn't their bag. Don't get me wrong, I KNOW that Hall is a big deal, but she is a big deal on a network that hates its own soaps. Airing DOOL promos during Sweeney's The Biggest Loser doesn't mean they'll be shedding too many tears when DOOL is gone for good. Basically, I'm agreeing that Hall doesn't carry the same weight as Slezak who has sustained her show for decades. Now that is not to say that she isn't immune from being sent out to pasture, but the blow is bigger.

• Members

Here's the thing, I LIKE Deidre Hall, I LIKED Marlena, I LIKED the hammy acting. However, DAYS is a show that has other stars, you've got Sami and Stefano and Bo and Hope...those four have the same kind of storyline that Marlena had. As I said before, I don't think DAYS has ever had a 'star' like AMC does with Lucci. DAYS is more of an ensemble, it has many popular characters.

OLTL has always been about Vicki. She's an original character and in fact the ONLY original character left on the show. OLTL, sorry to say, doesn't have the stable of actors that DAYS does in terms of popularity. I'm not talking talent, I'm talking popular appeal. Firing Slezak, although marginalized under Frons' rule, would kill that show and I don't even LIKE OLTL, I've never liked it and even I can say that Slezak carries that show.

Finally, there is only one soap opera actor/actress who is mainstream and her name is Susan Lucci. Everyone else exists in daytime, but is nothing anywhere else in the business. Braeden, Hall, Slezak, Strasser, Thomas Scott, Flannery...name whoever you want. The fact is when it comes to making money and being instantly recognizable, the average person knows Susan Lucci, they don't know anyone else. Fans of course no the soap stars...but the average guy or girl on Main Street USA knows Susan Lucci and that's it.

Archived