The Politics Thread

• Members

Mostly I just think they are stuck in the past, I admit I used to think like this, when I was younger, or at least I could follow the logic back in the day where one would need to arm themselves against someone else who had a weapon. But then I realized that the advancements the military has received in the past few years is far beyond the capabilities of what a regular citizen would be able to combat. So that's already chalked up to as a "loss." 

I've been reading a lot online about these individuals who feel that "good guys with guns" shouldn't be penalized for other shooters, and that it is our right to have guns and no one should take that away from anyone. But it's plainly obvious that everyone should not have a gun. When does their right to have a gun preclude my right to live? There should definitely be psychological evaluations, stricter laws for those who can't responsibly handle their firearms as well as more difficulty in acquiring a gun.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Skin- I agree with you. I think that the NRA has managed to get many people to believe that "Obama is coming for your guns", but he's never advocated banning guns. Just some common sense restrictions.

At the very least a person should need some gun safety training, a background check and a license. Every year something like a hundred (I have to look up the statistic, but it's a lot) toddlers shoot someone because their parents don't follow basic gun safety laws. That's crazy.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/toddlers-shot-victim-week-2015-article-1.2398377

Edited by Juliajms

• Members

Interesting Op-Ed piece which likens Bernie's version of progressive politics to the Windows 95 version and says that Elizabeth Warren is a progressive much more in keeping with the current times:

Sanders, the Windows 95 of Progressive Politics?

I've thought this for quite some time, while also believing that he has had moments of delusion where he thought/hoped he could actually handle the job.  The more crazy he sounds the more his rabid base of supporters propel him forward.  Maybe some of his rabid base secretly wish to destroy the current GOP, thinking they can re-make it in their own hateful image or perhaps people who are angry with/betrayed by the GOP and want to hit the party where it would really hurt?  I can't decipher such warped thinking but as long as Trump shuffles back to his penthouse and stays far from the White House, I admit, I don't really care.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

None of this is new to Trump - he peddled the same conspiracy theories in 2011 and 2012. I think people just expected him to stop once he hit the general election. I don't think he has any ability to stop, or filter himself. He likely also sees it as a winning formula, and sadly I'm not entirely sure he's wrong (I'm already seeing the GOP parrot the line that Obama cares more about Trump than he does about the shooter).