Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

People overlooking the fact that Joe Manchin voted for both Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh to be confirmed to SCOTUS with absolutely no repercussions. Honestly, does this ever happen with the Republicans?

Of course, 11 Democrats voted for Clarence Thomas, completely dismissing Anita Hill’s crucial and damning testimony. What an infamous vote that turned out to be. 

Midterms will be interesting.

• Members

The election following Thomas's confirmation had consequences. Women were elected in record numbers. Alan Dixon from ILLINOIS a democrat voted for him and was beat by Carol Mosley Braun in the primary. He acknowledged it was due to his vote for Thomas.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

It’s too bad that those consequences haven’t had as lasting an impact nationally as the vote for Thomas. His confirmation continues to reverberate in the most negative of ways, down to his wife Ginny’s harassment of Hill for her testimony decades after the fact.

Whoo boy, if even 15 years ago, someone were to ask which country would have the most repressive abortion law in 2022 and the choices were Chile, Ireland and the United States-how many people would have chosen the correct answer?

Let that sink in: Ireland has more progressive abortion laws in 2022 than the United States of America.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Include Mexico in that.

Oh I clearly remember that election. My mom and I were glued to the hearings when Thomas was confirmed. She was so angry - she took me with her when she canvassed for CMB in the primary. And trust me it was a shockwave here in Illinois at the time when the machine candidate Dixon lost.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Administrator

I feel so bad for Americans.  What a fucked up country you guys are living in, and it’s only going to get worse if Republicans get their way.  

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I was thinking of when the country started to go downhill and yeah it was the early 00’s. Oh don’t get me wrong I knew there was issues in the 80’s and 90’s but that was really the first time I was absolutely disgusted and appalled with this country as a whole as everyone fell line behind  Bush and his ilk as opponents were silenced.

• Members

One can only hope (I don't pray) that this will spur an onslaught of voters to vote these f*ckers out of office.  Of course, the Republicans have already put their people in charge of certifying the votes.

I have lived through years before Roe V. Wade and have seen what women were forced to do.  There will still be abortions, but women will be dying by the thousands.  Don't rely on the "pills" because their coming after them as well.  

The first birth control pills were fraught with break through pregnancies.  I was one of the women who couldn't depend on them.  I wish I was strong enough to tell my story!  

• Members

True. This will lead to a black market I imagine.  Beyond that I really wonder if there will be check points trying to stop pregnant women from going to other states or countries?  I wonder if there will be boarder clinics in Mexico like there is for dentistry and insulin?

I wondered the same. Also, are these companies going to pay for ALL of their employees to travel for abortions or just their executives who don't even need the help? I have a very hard time believing that Starbucks plans to pay for all of it's baristas to get care. I'm happy to be wrong though.