The Politics Thread

• Members

These are the same entities whose antecedents threw it to the states in deciding which states would regard Blacks as semi-free and which states regard Blacks as property and 3/5 of a human being. Same energy for the states that regarded “mixed-race” marriages as illegal versus those who did not. Same energy.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I feel awful for every woman I know, especially my mother who really went through it with her right to choose as a younger woman. That's all I can say about that that feels adequate to the moment.

But I'm sorry, but in terms of a political response, singing songs on the Capitol steps is not it. We've known what was coming and known what we have to do for at least over a year. I don't want to hear any more gushing about a gun bill that barely passes half muster on some of the things we needed from it c/o 'our friends across the aisle,' I don't want more songs, I don't want these lamentations from various Senators or officials of a bipartisan time gone by and promises the 'GOP fever' will break. It's not gonna break. This has been a cold war for decades and it's gone hot in the last few years. Most of us know 2016 was the ballgame in terms of the old way of doing things. Now this is a war and the Democratic side has to start treating it as such, as opposed to offering up these calls to bipartisan comity and waiting for it all to go away. I dunno how we get out of this, but it's not by doing things the way we came in. And that will mean expanding the court, not just waiting for more to die while Thomas sharpens the knives for the rest of us next.

And a biiiiigggg [!@#$%^&*] you to the dirtbag left who couldn't bring themselves to vote or act in the last six years and thought this was all a fun game and are now all conveniently MIA. And of course, to Brian Stelter who I don't think has ever been made to account for this:

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Vee

• Members

That's obviously illogical nonsense. So we are all supposed to sit quietly when other people face injustice. I don't think so. That's what has led to one tragedy after another. I'm sorry those f*ckers came after you. Try to remember they can't think their way out of a paper bag and obviously are incapable of empathy.

Child abuse will also go up. An already nightmarish foster system will be further overwhelmed. It's just an awful decision in every way.

• Members

I'm just so damn angry. I have worked in repro rights my whole life. It was my first form of activism. I helped found my college's first "Students for Choice" group. I worked for NARAL and I'm a sustaining donor to Planned Parenthood. I've paid for abortions for friends and strangers.

Now I get to watch all of that work and progress pissed away in my lifetime because people fell for con artists and podcasters telling them that free college was more important than bodily autonomy and civil rights.

This should be the end of the dirtbag left. Every narrative they've ever spun about electoral politics has been wrong and they brought us here.

• Members

My mother had several abortions before I came along and was a victim of church abuse. She has friends very close to the leadership and worked in the Capitol my whole life. Then she gets to retire and see it sieged and watch this.

• Members

The only thing I can take solace in right now is that I work for a company that will cover all expenses for travel and the procedure itself for women who wish to travel to another country for an abortion. My own personal stand will be to only work for organizations who have this policy in the future.

• Members

I feel like if I talk about this topic it takes away from the women and children who are going to suffer from the Roe decision, but yes, I also thought about this, as you have and so many others have.

Moreso where we are likely heading - a model of Turkey and Russia, idolized by much of the US right, which will be lgbt people officially listed as groomers and dangers to the family, unable  to  work, unable to foster or adopt, or have any access to even their biological children, unable to share legal benefits, or a home, with their partner. Unable to have  dating or sex lives. Inevitably put in camps, tortured, and killed.

Yes, people should fight, and one twist of fate or person can make a difference, but it's hard to shake what is likely coming.

(and I don't buy the lies from the right that these policies are up to each state - look at the  SCOTUS gun ruling for proof of what a joke that is).

I've been ashamed of this country ever since we "liberated" Iraq. I should have been long before that, probably, but that was when I fully saw what the apparatus was...and while there were good people who made a difference in some years, and still are, there has been no going back.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

They're loving it, because they can ignore own culpability and use this to gleefully shame and berate Democrats and mock anyone who votes.

Even worse are trust fund babies like Carlos Maza who are going around calling for armed violence when they, and their retweet friends and their many guillotine gifs, will never be the ones out there risking anything. They are reprehensible.