Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I can see why Pelosi moved the date up - the optics of waiting a month (especially since apparently that would have been after ballots started going out) would have been awful. Unfortunately I don't think the hearings will do anything, and will just be used by the GOP and the media as a weapon against Democrats. Republicans on the committee will make an ugly display, they will distract, Democrats will be criticized for not doing enough to stop them, and Dejoy will waddle away with the topic safely changed. There's a reason why the media is trying to move people away from this story and onto things like birhterism 2.0 or does Obama think Biden is a terrible candidate, etc. The worst part is I can't even say people may be better off voting in person because, even if I put aside the pandemic, which we can't, more polling places are being shutdown and the GOP are hiring more poll watchers to intimidate voters. Barring a landslide, Trump and his cronies have managed to shut down many Democratic votes from all angles. 

• Members

The onus is on the GOP now, for sabotaging the post office, hurting not just voters but seniors needing medication, etc. That is the angle and that is the only story on mainstream media, not Fox. That is what is slowing them down on this sabotage now, even more than any hearing, though that will be important. That's why they've begun to back down on their efforts with USPS.

Edited by Vee

• Members

In another attempt to change the narrative for Trump, CNN (whose main boss has bragged about Trump's help to their network) has a poll out showing Biden up +4. I do believe it's that close (or closer), but the narrative will be dishonest, as the media will do anything to help Trump win. They need him for relevance and ratings. Expect a lot of push this week about his comeback and about blaming Harris, and any efforts possible to ignore stories like these:

Edited by DRW50

• Members

LOL, that is the only poll I've seen where it's anywhere near that close. I think it's +7 at worst, myself. CNN needs a horse race, though.

I believe in calling the media out early and often, but it's just not true they are ignoring the USPS story or trying to get rid of it. It's been everywhere on TV and in print all weekend and most of last week. I don't expect much from the media at any turn, ever, but this issue is getting a lot of exposure, and that's because public outcry and attention from the people is the only way to pressurize them and in turn the administration. It does work and has worked before, first with George Floyd and defunding/demilitarizing the police and with many other issues. That's how those issues turned overwhelmingly in our favor even in public polling. This is something we've seen before too, because the media was absolutely desperate for a horse race and GOP comeback narrative in both '08 and '12, and neither really worked, though they pretended there was one to the end of the race, even when neither McCain nor Romney had much of a chance. And that's because they were continually pushed and pressured, day in and day out and faced with public and IRL protest and pressure online and offline. That's why the USPS story has taken off in media, it's why the admin is freezing up, and it's why the House is back in session next week and not next month.

Edited by Vee

• Members

CBS just broadcasted Biden with a 10 point lead on their morning news show.

Are people relying on polls again??  Those relying on CNN should remember that CNN has wild swings in their polling. I'm curious about polls but I'm no masochist, so I think I will take these with a grain of salt, especially the ones with wild swings.