Melrose Place Spinoff: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I agree. I've been waiting for a good drama/soap about young people since the comedy side of this age group is already covered (I watch The Big Bang Theory, and How I Met Your Mother).

Yeah, they all pretty much clicked in the pilot.

She sure is! I've never seen her before, plus, she's Asian! We don't see too many hot asian actors in Hollywood. Kudos to MP for adding some diversity to the cast.

Oh and someone needs to make a high quality wallpaper of Jessica, Katie, and Stephanie together like right now! :)

• Members

I liked it, it was better than the originals pilot for sure. The acting was good(although Sipos and Simpson-Wentz could use a few lessons) and the dialogue wasn't half bad. The production values were also great(lovin the new courtyard). I didn't care for the overuse of music, how little we saw of Michael & Syd, or the way some scenes were edited though. And I hope we get an opening next week, that title card just doesn't cut it for me.

Katie Cassidy :wub: Ella is definitely my favorite character so far. Loved her scenes with Jonah, I felt really bad for her when he and Riley announced they were officially engaged. That last scene where she makes out with the hot chick from the bar was nice. :D I also liked her friendship with David and feud with Sydney.

I'm digging Jonah & Riley. The video, his proposal, the scene where she finally accepts it, they're just made of all kinds of sweetness. :P I'm glad he decided not to take the cheating old filmmakers deal.

Lauren is another one of my faves, it'll be interesting to see how her story progresses. Stephanie Jacobsen is fine as hell BTW!

I thought Auggie was kinda bland until the last scene when he burned the bloody chef outfit. Same goes for David & Violet, who didn't pique my interest at all until she swiped Syd's picture and he stole the art painting.

Sydney :wub: It was nice seeing her again, even though she got whacked so early into the show. Loved her flashback scenes with Ella & Michael.

Speaking of Michael I hope he's a bit more fun next week, he seemed kinda moody.

• Members

As a dedicated viewer of the original series, I have to say the pilot episode of the new Melrose was pretty much solid, at least plot-wise. My favourite characters are Auggie, Lauren and Jonah.

However, the apartment building looks more like a spa to me and not like an actual residential house. It looks really fake and plastic. The old building had this rustic charm and was way more convincing. I don't buy all these supposed 20-somethings living in this fancy house when most of them obviously have financial problems. Besides, we didn't even get to know how many apartments there are and who's living where with whom.

I would have liked them to have a crossover between 90210 and Melrose Place, so there would have been at least a small connection between these shows. Otherwise they could have just done a similar show revolving around people living in an apartment complex without labelling it as "MELROSE PLACE". Sydney and Michael seemed like a shadow of their former selves and if they don't pay respect to the original show's history, they should have left these characters where they belong - in the glory days of the 90s.

• Members

I was pretty bored too and I just can't bring myself to give this show the high-praise that some people have given it, at least not right now. Ella is nauseating and there was indeed blandness all around with the other characters. Didn't care for the new Billy and Allison types either. Auggie is the prettiest dude on the show and he got hardly any airtime. Furthermore, why is Auggie a nice guy? Shouldn't he be the scheming pretty boy/SOB sleeping around and clawing his way to the top. I also think that Auggie should've been a devious and corrupt lawyer or something rather than a chef. Nothing against chefs or anything.

• Members
But you bought it the first time around? Because people sure had money problems back then too from time to time.

Ehm, I believe we'll see that at some point. What's the rush?

Oh no, please no. This show is so different from 90210 imo. I don't want a crossover at all.

• Members

Would it have been so bad had Ryan left at the end of season 1, only to move to Melrose Place, starting a new life here. I actually thought they were going to do that. Simple crossover like that could have connected the show. They also could have made Riley the estranged twin of the cop he was hot for on 90210

• Members

If I could compare the characters I would say:

Jonah = Billy. His aspirations to becoming a film director reminded me of Billy's to become a writer. Plus Billy was very goofy and immature in the beginning, similar to him

Riley = Jane. All around good girl who stands by her man

Ella = Amanda. Resident b-tch right down to her even having a similar blonde hairtstyle to Amanda's towards the end. Plus her being a publicist seems analagous to Amanda in advertising

Auggie = Kyle. Only connection I have now is they are both chefs

David = Jake. The rebel into bikes and getting in trouble

Violet = Samantha. New girl in town who seems a bit on the naive side

Lauren = Alison. Career driven good girl

• Members

When Sydney first appeared, she was kicked off from school for the second or third time and wanted to keep this from her parents. She smoked – which is always a sign that a character is up to no good ;) – and went partying with Jane's boss Kay Beacon. When Syd returned in season two to support Jane during her divorce from Michael, she acted as if she was sorry for Jane, but instead she secretly met Michael and made eyes at him. I wouldn't call that a good girl :P

In the character descriptions released in February, Auggie was said to be the "new" Matt, Violet = Sydney, Lauren = Jane, Jonah = Billy, Riley = Alison, Ella = Amanda and David = Jake. After the pilot, I don't see any connections between Auggie and Matt, Violet and Sydney, Lauren and Jane or Riley and Alison at all.

• Members

not necesarily good but she wasnt a b-tch in season 1. She and Jane got along and she had an innocent crush on Michael. Season 2 rolled around and she was a complete bitch, selfish, manipulative, jealous and out to hurt.

I think they have Riley as Alison only bc she's living with Jonah like Alison was in the beginning and they are the show's rooting couple. Thats it really. I still see Violet as more of a Samantha type right now although she could morph into Sydney. For Lauren, I guess maybe her drive to be a doctor could be analagous to Jane's to be a designer. As for Auggie, Matt was everyone's best friend and overall good guy. Maybe thats what he will be. We didnt really see much of him

Archived