Y&R: TV Guide Confirms JG is out and his replacement!

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not musicals--jsut Sondheim and LaChiusa. What did you deduce oh wise one? :P That someone on a soap forum tends to like broadly romantic things? Go figure... I think my tastes are pretty eclectic though (and the Donna Summer is more due to Moroder being her producer for the record *gets defensive*) Should I start trying to see what your profile would be from your love of bombast orchestral cues? ;)

Re the Russian show--it looks MILES better than any other period telenovela I've seen--do you disagree with that?

• Members

Now that I got my casting director wish....

I hope Rauch can stop this freelancing directors crap. Just build a real team, Sally McDonald, Dean LaMont, and Andrew Lee seem to be their only mainstay directors. Just add two more or so directors to the team and let them stay there. Consistency people, it works!

I wonder if Deveney Kelly's doing double duty at both B&B and Y&R though, she seems to have popped up a lot in recent weeks in the credits.

• Members

Interesting developments at Y&R, for sure.

But I wouldn't call a casting director who helmed JAG of all shows an improvment... :lol: She at least has soap ties which I think is good.

Don't get why Y&R is dealing with Deveney Kelly though; MIchael Stich, Cynthia Popp and Jennifer Howard are faaaaaar superior to her and would deserve a shot at Y&R. B)

JFP might have some power at GH but I think the biggest of money is tied because it goes to the piggy banks of GH's IL DIVO Mo & Steve and their wifebeaters, sparing some cash for Tony Geary and network favorite Ingo Rademacher leaving little money for the rest of cast & production...

• Members

Rauchie started to push GL into the hole it got itself into....Conboy just killed it off. Rauchie should never have hired JC to play Alex (and I luurve me some JC Alex...) they didnt have the money to pay her. KZ kept demanding and GETTING huge money, Rauch was determined SHE was the big draw of GL. The JC casting could have payed off in ratings, except for that other cog in the fucked up machine MADD. MADD didnt promote JC like she did the clone (like people would tune into to see two versions of KZ chewing scenery) as she thought Joan Collins was a draw in itself...uh not if no one knows about it. CBS had to step in and start promoting but by then it was too late.

MADD can't be excused for the budget crises....part of the reason she isnt there anymore is because of the budgets.

Conboy could have pulled back and focused the show, but he didnt, his cuts and filming styles and overhalls of the sets and finally the hireing of Brad Cole set them over the edge.

Culliton/Taggerts GL..hmm, its all a manner of person taste. I LOVED it. Joan's Alex was back to being Bev's Alex...the Bauers were restored, the stories were all connected. SOME of the stories werent good, but that is with every soap and writer. The Phillip custody battle and Harley becoming the victim, plus Gus as a Spaulding was all MADD's ideas.

Ratings for GL were to fairly okay when Rauch left, and were starting to slowly raise. Conboy finshed the show off for good. I really do think that if Wheeler had replaced Rauch, was was intented ( another MADD screw up, she was afraid to let her EP so she brought in Conboy at a huge price) with Taggert and Culliton in place...we would not be in the place we are today. Taggert could stand up to Rauchie she sure as hell could stand up to Wheeler, and Wheeler, and I HATE everthing about her GL, was able to get the budget in line, I will give her that (and only that.)

• Members

Boris is dreary and Prince Igor is even more dreary. Whereas Boris is sloppily written with some savage, almost amateurish harmony, Prince has a lot of problems in its libretto. Not that I mind, mind you. I love Strauss's Die Frau ohne Schätten, in which there is a scene of a chorus of unborn children that sings through the mouths of fish frying in a pan! :lol:Boris and Igor remind me of Verdi's dull, dull, dull Don Carlos.

I am more of a fan of Baroque opera. :D

• Members

Well, shortly: you're somewhere between the love of Eros and Thanatos pieces and sappy, sugary Tchaikovsky-ean works. Add to that a bit of trashy disco and there you go! :lol:

I've actually never seen another period soap opera... What were some other period soaps? :blink:

• Members

I mean... I don't want daytime to be primetime in terms of the structure of the episodes etc. I was just referring to the look it has. A lot of these sets are just dreadful. I mean why can't we have the Walker's kitchen (B&S) or a room like Ryan's pool house (The OC). Those sets are nothing, nothing special, bordering on bland, I just randomly and bizarrely chose those two, but daytime looks cheap and awful in comparison.

Archived