Y&R: TV Guide Confirms JG is out and his replacement!

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Big agree and excellent insight.

Weston was a longtime professional writer. She didn't "get" GL itself at all but she did seem to have a pretty decent grasp of actually plotting and pacing a story even if the story wasn't worth telling. Kreizman's work has just been a mess from start to finish. Not only is his execution terrible but the goals he has for his stories are all out of whack. The only goals of his stories are to break up good couples with strong followings, scotch-tape horrible pairings that everybody hates together, and romanticize and glorify woman-hating criminals and the idiot women who are dumb enough to love them.

• Members

Since Y&R only tapes like 3-4 weeks before airing, we should see Rauch's first episode fairly soon. I'm interested to see how his production method works at Y&R. Rauch loves making stylistic changes. I expect the music, camera angles, and some set decorations to be revamped. It will be interesting to see what he does with Y&R's trademark lighting, I just hope he keeps it as is.

I wonder if he'll revamp his production staff as well, not that I expect him to, but Rauch is pretty unpredictable.

• Members

Eric, how is it I always learn something new whenever I read your posts? Japanese manga films/series, film soundtracks, Agnes Nixon?

From the clips I have seen of Love is a Many Splendoured Thing, I loved it and can see the visual link between Conboy's work there and early Y&R.

And I'm going to check out Bednaya Nastya today -- I have a thing for period pieces. I swear, I hated the idea of Rauch coming on Y&R yesterday. Now I'm curious to see if he's got what it takes to translate a lush, moody, filmic style on Y&R's screen (a lot of Russia's period dramas use a lot of cool blue light for outdoors contrasted with velvety dark reds and black in interior scenes).

• Members

For me, it's a whole package. If he's going to change that gorgeous orchestral background music (a lot of it having already been sidelined anyway) for some crap banged out on a plastic electronic keyboard, he might as well change the moody lighting and the close-up camera angles that have been Y&R's hallmark, too. Otherwise, it is just not going to "fit."

Damn. This has got me down again. Rauch's production style is all about blinding white lighting, bright beige sets, shiteous music and wide group shots. Absolutely the polar opposite of everything Y&R's visual identity represents.

And please let's not start with the "it's only lighting" argument. Lighting + shooting style + sets + music are so key. They create the whole feeling, the DNA of a show. On Y&R more than any other soap.

• Members

Paul Rauch interview from SOD 2002

Digest: Where do you pick up ideas for the show?

Rauch: I pick up ideas from everywhere. Books, movies, plays, operas. It's like being a photographer and seeing [onscreen] a photograph of everything your eyes look at.

Digest: What is the relationship like between you, P&G and the networks?

Rauch: I would say, at this point in time, we have a very close and collaborative relationship with the network. The network people are highly experienced and very knowledgeable and thoughtful. I welcome the opportunity to work with them.

Digest: When you have all of these different viewpoints, who ultimately makes the decision? Are there too many cooks in the kitchen?

Rauch: No moreso than ever before. I think we all like to feel that something is going to work. I've gone into stories before where there was a division of opinion, but usually we found some way to come to an agreement about we want to do, and most of us felt good about it.

Digest: Why did you take ANOTHER WORLD to an hour?

Rauch: It happened as the result of the following: On ANOTHER WORLD, we had a favorite couple, Steve and Alice. In 1974, we decided to get them married after a long and stormy courtship fraught with problems created by Rachel. We went to NBC, told them that we felt that the wedding show should be an hour and would they we willing to preempt the half hour following us, which was a show called HOW TO SURVIVE A MARRIAGE. [NBC] thought about it and said okay. In June of 1974, I believe, we did the hour of Steve and Alice's wedding, and it was a huge ratings success. The ratings of the 2nd half hour were 50 to 60 percent up from the show that [usually] is in that time period. As a result of that, we talked to the network abut doing an hour show all the time. We were scared to death that they might say yes. They did, and in January of '75, we went to an hour. The show was a huge success, and it was for a long time. Then, as you know, we were an hour-and-a-half for a year and a half.

Digest: And that didn't seem to work as well.

Rauch: It didn't because it was asking the audience to stick around for a single show for 90 minutes, 5 days a week, which is a big bite out of the viewers time. The show at its ratings peak [as 90 minutes] hit a 9 plus rating with a 28 share. Then it kind of tailed off, and we ultimately went back to the hour. But it was an interesting try. It was not my idea behind the 90 minutes show; it was the network's because they had smelled and experienced success with the hour and they thought, 'Well, let's try even more.' But ultimately, it didn't work.

Digest: Are soaps doing more or less romance?

Rauch: Doing more romance because I think it's a touchstone of this genre, romance... and fantasy. Fantasy in terms of how people view each other in grand sweeping passions and operatic emotions. It's what we look for all the time. Sometimes you make mistakes with the people you put together and sometimes you're successful with them. It's hard to always be successful with a combination of characters.

Digest: What do you do to unwind?

Rauch: I have a great love for the latter part of the term soap opera. I'm a big opera fan. We go to the opera here a lot, but we go to Europe periodically and see their productions. We have a house in the country, and go every weekend and try to relax. I also see lots of movies and read lots of books.

Digest: Do you have a message for the fans?

Rauch: My message to the fans is stay tuned because I think they will be very gratified by story and story outcome. If they haven't given us a shot, give us a shot.

• Members

Haha you flatter ;) I think it's that we seem to share a lot of similar interests--and a forum like this is great for me to just randomly remember factoids I've picked up somewhere and would have no other place to discuss or mention them :)

Love did always have a really high quality look. I know with Y&R Conboy and Bell worked together to make it look like an old glamorous Hollywood movie (and the dark lighting was partly a trick to make sets look even more detailed than they are--).

I hope Bednaya gives you some hope--it's an absolutely gorgeous looking "telenovela" that from what I've read was made on a shockingly low budget--. (I wish someone would make a subtitled version of it all--I swear I'd prob buy the whole thing).

I sorta have the same fears as your other post, but I have to ask if those at Y&R would let him amp up the lights to his usual high levels--Y&R, as you say, more than any other soap is SO identified with that dark, moody "soap" lighting. (It's interesting that a few things that Y&R does more of and better than anyone else have become such soap cliches to non soap viewers--the dark moody lighting being one, as are the extended helf "reaction" shots before commercials. I remember an interview with Peter Bergman in the mid 90s where he said when he came to Y&R from AMC he actually had to work hard and be taught to hold his reactions at least twice as long as he had on AMC lol)

E

Archived