Y&R: TV Guide Confirms JG is out and his replacement!

• Members

The show needs a strong EP with a vision, but Paul Raunch? That's incredibly risky. In recent weeks I've been very impressed with the production side of things and thought Josh Griffith was finally getting it. Was he trying to save his job or has this been the beginnings of Raunch? Or maybe there hasn't been a change at all and I'm seeing things. I'm not looking at this in a negative light because the writing on the show is finally good, so we don't have to worry about him going too over the top. The writing simply doesn't allow for it. I assume Bill Bell Jr. hired him, so he was probably as much his choice as Maria's.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

We he even go to Paris at his age? I'm thinking Anthony Morina, who usually does Y&R's location shoots, will be the senior Producer in Paris.

Of course I'm assuming Morina will stay as the #2 Producer, or will Rauch bring in his own #2 Producer.

• Members

Well, she's not that young anymore and her eldest son is calling the shots behind the scenes anyway.

Don't want to play devil's advocate here but her cameo on Y&R two years ago made me wonder about her health a bit reg. dementia or sth. similiar.

@ ChrisB: Since Rauch was supposedly ghost consulting (he at least never appeared in the credits...) I wouldn't rule out that she was pulling some strings backstage for some time now. I.e the Victor&Sabrina wedding looked rather unusual for Griffith's/post old-school-Scott/Shaugnessy/Smith/Bell-era.

• Members

I honestly think that the production quality of Y&R is going to go downhill rather quickly under Rauch. Bright lighting and pastel clothing, it's like a nightmare. Wait... that was GL from 1997-2002.

Writing, eh, if they let Sheffer play a major role in the writing then I don't think we could see any influence with Rauch. When I think about the millions of new characters that were brought on during Rauch (some say it was Rauch's doing, not the writers) it makes me want to scream. Rauch isn't as bad as Latham, but he's not all that better than her either.

Anyone wanna bet he gets rid of the opening credits and replaces them with a 15 second opening sequence just showing the Y&R logo?

• Members

I honestly do not think that Rauch will destroy Y&R's iconic looks. Or mess with the lighting.

When he joined GL and OLTL, neither show had a specific visual look like Y&R had had for 30 years....

In a technical behind the scenes interview in SOW in 1989 (which I used to have somewhere)- the interviewer asked the OLTL lighting designers why OLTL was lit so brightly- they clearly stated, as not to take the blame- that it was Paul's aesthetic vision for the show- It was meant for the show to look upbeat and for the actor's eyes to shine".. I think I quoted that almost 100% correctly.

OLTL videos from 1983/1984 on Youtube show the show looked boring and the background music was old and stodgy. Rauch made OLTL very contemporary- very 80's.. I loved his background music from Score Productions... but the lighting was AWFUL. Thank god Gottlieb overhauled it.

I wish he would be smart enough to bring back Y&R's classical music themes- but I think he is going to make the music more MTV ish- even worse than Latham....

But visually, I think the show is safe. The lush look is Y&R's look- He would be a moron to change it.

I have attached kind of a cool link regarding OLTL's musical history- there is some Paul Rauch info...

http://www.geocities.com/historypg/marg.html

Also, His AW looked beautiful for its time. Go to Youtube.

• Members

LOL! That was P&G's doing, both ATWT and AW cut their openings down to like 12 seconds during that time as well.

But I do think Rauch might be the one to finally give us a new opening credits. He might've taken forever to do so at GL, but he did give us that short-lived Lifesavers Opening. LOL!

And of course he brought a new opening to OLTL when he took over there as well.

• Members

As much as a couple of years ago, Rauch talked a lot about traveling to Europe to see operas and how much that influenced his work. Rauch is VERY hands-on, I think he'll go to the Paris shoot.

I think Morina will stay on, Rauch doesn't have a track record of getting rid of all types of existing producers. At least he kept most of the existing productions staff at GL, though there were some changes over the years there under his watch.

• Members

Yes, but Nelson said that David Hayward would Return to All My Children and that is going to Happen and Nelson first said that there will be A Tornado and that is going to Happen. Now, Nelson DID say that there would be THREE Tornados so I don't know if that will Happen or not. Jody

• Members

The man is also an ego maniac with a god complex (don't get me wrong--I think to an extent these are good qualities in EPs)--I think, age be damned, he'll give the show his all until he literally physically can't. I've also heardhe's in very fine form for his age and seems younger (I wonder if he's still the "ladies man", as LaGuardia's soap book so politely said in their long chapter on Another World in the 70s, he was lol)

• Members

Funny enough didn't Conboy replace Rauch at GL? Conboy did have HUGE respect and love from his days at Y&R--where he created the gorgeous dim, "movie style" look of the soap that was groundbreaking (and very different from Rauch's bright theatrical lighting)--somethign he first became famous for on Love is a Many Splendoured Thing (he must be about as old as Rauch...)

RUssia's MASSIVELY beloved telenovela from a couple years back, the period "Bednaya Nastya", had Ruach in a key role and if he had anythign to do with how gorgeous it looked ona tight budget, he deserves credit (check youtube and the net for tons of English fans and clips)--it also musta finally appeased Rauch's desire to doa period soap.

Archived