Y&R: Week of September 1, 2008

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I loved yesterday's episode. It held my attention from beginning to end.

Jill/Kay/Esther/Chloe/Cane -- love love love. I love the soapiness of the whole reveal. And I felt sorry for both Chloe (Kate?) and Cane. Looking forward to more fall-out and recriminations from all this -- especially given that Kay funded Kate's "expensive" but no doubt lonely existance.

Adam getting his Michael Corleone on! This is setting him up to get really interesting, and I like his dynamic with Heather, struggling between genuine feelings for her and the ruthless Newman he wants to be.

However, I'm not quite convinced by Heather on her own (either as a ADA or a fully-fledged character). The fact that she had to use the promise of sex to placate Pipsqueak suggests to me that the writers do not quite know how to portray Heather. I was surprised because she is usually such a hard-nosed, competitive careerist -- she's practically a nerd (in the nice way) about her workaholic personality, and I don't know if she would necessarily fall back on sex like Amber, Sharon and Phyllis tend to do.

I liked the whole set-up of Victor's letters to his children -- cut short as somebody walked into a room. It's so obvious from his letter that Nicholas is the favoured child. Contrast that with Victoria's letter (from which we barely got any snippets -- only the constant repetition of "you are just like me, my darling." Hardly the biggest compliment!) and with Adam's which, as Pipsqueak so rightly pointed out, was definitely the "second best child" letter.

I also liked the contrast between the saccharine letters and what TGVN is really like. OTT Nikki and Victor? That whole scene was classic N&V. Victor ripping into her, Nikki collapsing into the depths of despair. He was so cruel yesterday -- "I wish one of us had the strength to kill the other."

I just hope that when Victor finally decides to save his lady-love from herself, the drunk hamster will not come scurrying at the snap of his fingers. What I would really love is for Nikki to hit rock-bottom (which she prob already has) and rescue herself. Then John Enos could return as Bobby Marsino and start romancing her again, because Nikki needs to knock boots long and hard with a sexy, funny, virile hunk o' man for once. Let's face it. I doubt the Tache was the world's most giving lover. Brad was so enamoured of himself, he probably dry-humped the mirror. And humourless Jack no longer strikes me as the Ride 'em all night type.

• Members

"Retcon" is a change of history. What you may have seen years ago didn't really happen and is now a different version. (for example, the dream season of Dallas; Cane revealed as a Chancellor, and others).

Here is what Wikipedia says "Retcon is a contraction of the term "retroactive continuity." It describes the act of changing previously-established details of a fictional setting without providing an explanation within the context of the setting for the changes."

• Members

Cat--I agree with Nikki. That was my thought too--I thought the scenes were well done (though when Eric B yells I've got to have the CC on my TV) is that I'd love to see Nikki figure out how to get her act together herself.

So here's my problem with the Victoria letter--the WHOLE time that scene was going on, I wanted it to be Heather Tom. Thinking back to all the Victoria and Victor scenes, I picture Heather Tom, and then it was just ruined for me yesterday. It was actually the first time I've had real issues with the re-casting of Victoria.

I loved all of the Kate/Chloe scenes.

• Members

Wednesday's show was mostly boring to me.. but the ending was GREAT! I loved how Victoria came and told Brad that things will change again! :lol: I can't wait to see Brad and Adam fall!

And then, as Adam and Heather are making out, celebrating him being the new Victor Newman, Victor walks!! And the music was PERFECT! And it was so soapy and so classic! I loved it!

I also liked the scene where Nikki calls Victoria and she runs off to Nick, Sharon and Noah and they all talk. Sharon is STILL such a huge part of Newman family. And today for the first time I liked Noah. I'm so happy they are letting us get to know him through his family, rather than throwing him into his own storyline with his friends.

I didn't care about Daniel/Amber storyline.... zzz....

Once again, I LOVED THE CLIFFHANGER!!

• Members

It was another Deveney Kelly directed episode. I wonder if she'll stay there a bit longer.

I thought Wednesday was great. The ending was great. I am glad Viki came and told Brad that, but I still can't stand her. Or Nick.

Archived