Generations Discussion Thread

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Good question(s)!  I've wondered the same myself!

I will give NBC credit, though, for not de-emphasizing (as far as I could tell) the Marshalls when the show didn't make an immediate splash.  Any other network would have blamed the low ratings on the African-Americans and ordered them phased out.

• Members

There was a SOD article (summarized in our classic SOD thread) that suggested it was Generations time slot, and not creative issues, that were to blame for its cancellation.  It was on in the early non-contiguous slot, so it didn't get habitual soap watchers like a soap that would have been placed after AW.

Also, Faith Daniels was an up and comer at NBC, and after the tumult surrounding Jane Pauley leaving Today in 1989, Daniels was given her own talk show in Generations time slot rather than further destabilizing the apple cart.   It's neither the first time nor the last time that NBC overspent on a blond reporter who proved to be too stiff for daytime audiences.

• Members

I had never even heard of Faith Daniels until now, but I did some searching around and found this interesting article. It was published just three months ago:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/nbc-trump-mar-a-lago-faith-daniels-kiss-interview-2019-7

Who would have guessed then that someday she'd be involved in something even soapier than Generations?

• Members

On WNBC-4 in NYC, Generations was moved from 12:30 pm to 11:30 am, as Santa Barbara was switched from 3 pm to noon. I doubt that helped Generations keep viewership, as the last 30 minutes of The Price is Right was already a huge ratings winner. (Faith Daniels had at least one episode with soap people, which I appreciated...)

• Members

The show had a good premise, she had some good ideas and the cast was filled with both seasoned vets and talented up and comers. It's a shame that there weren't more behind-the-scenes people to stabilize things, and that the show itself was the victim of bad timing. I still wish Unsung Hollywood would dedicate an episode to this show.

• Members

CAPITOL encountered a similar problem when they premiered.  Creators Stephen and Elinor Karpf had developed a very strong premise, filled with intriguing characters, backstories, and plotlines.  However, it was clear almost from the beginning that they weren't really cut out to head-write their own creation.  (Plus, it seems there were BTS issues with their producer, John Conboy).  Eventually, though, the Karpfs were replaced with the Corringtons, who themselves were replaced with Peggy O'Shea.