Generations Discussion Thread

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Jorn Winter is credited for making the show enjoyable. The show certainly turns the tide when he arrives in the fall of 1989. From what I've seen, the fall of 1989 through the spring of 1990 is pretty great.

This episode is pretty bad. Kyle's declaration is probably the strongest piece in that episode, but I couldn't watch the entire thing. Sam's concern about Kyle's career was a running conflict in their relationship. Brad and Christy were fun when they were first introduced and Pat Tallman was still playing the role of Christy. When Stacey Nelkins is introduced, Christy moves from a recurring part to a contract role. The show didn't need Christy when they already had Jordan. 

One of the biggest problems "Generations" had was they would find the character while writing so you'd see vast swings in characterization until they found what they liked. It often worked in the end, but it wasn't always pretty in the process. 

Debbi Morgan is a talented actress, but this trial story does nothing for me. Morgan and Brooks have decent chemistry, but they seem to be better at the end of the show when Lela Rochon's Brandy is introduced. 

I get why TPTB would do an art scam storyline. It allows Jordan to be the criminal mastermind, Kyle to play hero, Sam can be caught between the two, and Monique and Jason can play the supporting role in a world that is uniquely theirs. I think I would have had the scam involving Hugh Gardner's estate, which would allow Monique and Jason to be involved as well as Rob, Jessica, and Aunt Mary. Reginald has to be one of the most useless additions on the show up there with Butch Hartman's Sean Masters. 

The ending episodes with the return of Peter Whitmore are stronger, but not as good as the show was during the racism storyline, the start of the Jordan/Sam/Kyle triangle, and the Daniel Reuben's quest to prove his innocence.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Despite the faults, the short run of this show always made me wish it got put on a streaming network. I know it aired on BET and they could put it on BET+ although I know nobody would ever think to do that. From the few episodes I have seen and just from the all star cast, I'd watch it, warts and all. I know it may not have been executed as well as it could've been, but considering how soaps are now it might hold up okay.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...