Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The last time I had regular viewing access to Emmerdale was during the Gavin Blyth period.

Since I have missed out on having to endure all the damage done to the show in recent years, my memories of the village are still fond.

I wonder how much I would hate it if I watched the current incarnation.

I was curious to see what characters whom I knew were still on the canvas in 2022. 

I was AGHAST to see that the show is still so overrun with DINGLES. 

Please register in order to view this content

https://emmerdale.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_longest_running_characters

• Members

That period is what  alienated me from the show in the long term, but yes, it's even worse now - the last 2-3 years have been unwatchable to me. 

Beyond the Dingles, the show also has  what is I think 20 or more  child characters, which is just absurd to me. 

• Members

And we have that Vicar and his gay son. They are two of the worst actors I’ve watched in years. 

The Dingles are not even Emmerdales biggest issue to be honest. It’s the writing. 

i mean how many miscarriages or dead baby’s can u write into a script in a period of 5 years? How many serial killers can kill unnoticed in a span over the last decade? 
The whole show feels odd. There is no real connection to any of the characters and no real stable family that Shows somewhat of a unit. The Dingles seem to be the BIG Main family but even they don’t like each other much and the viewer still have to root for them.

i know it’s hard for writers to write an every day soap opera but this is not even worth anyones time. Not even All My Children or OLTL were that bad during their final years. I would be upset to see Emmerdale die but I do would agree to it that this show deserves to be axed. 

Edited by AMCOLTLLover

• Members

What about that period alienated you in the long term? I'm curious.

From everyone's disappointed comments about the present incarnation, I have no doubt the show is "even worse" now, alas.

Dingles AND a horde of kids would kill me.

I agree; I am sure I'd loathe it, particularly since most of the characters I actually cared about are gone, and the family I cannot tolerate is center stage.

The show never did much to commenorate the death of Annie Sugden, I presume. I did not hear about any returns of flashbacks.

I'm at the point where I'd rather have my once-favorite soaps laid to rest, rather than seeing them butchered year after year. What's happened to Days of our Lives is a travesty. Just end it already.

• Members

The show lost most of what made it  feel different to me - the eccentricity, the community aspect, the complex characters. Everyone became more streamlined, colder, and unpleasant. I also hated Aaron's storyline, especially Jackson's train crash and paralysis - the optics of a proud gay man being brought on the show just to suffer and be put in a wheelchair (and within several months, commit suicide) for the sake of a self-loathing closet case who had hit him (and others) bothered me a great deal. More than anything it was the sendoff of Viv and Terry, who had been on the show for nearly 15+ years before being fired. Viv barely even got an exit (she just went to sleep, drunk, and then died  offcamera  in a fire), got an offcamera funeral with none of her children returning, and we even got to hear "comedy" about how the vicar had called her by the wrong name. It felt extremely spiteful. I have never forgotten or forgiven. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

The did as little as they possibly could on the actual show. This is the sendoff they gave her....

And this is what the official Emmerdale channel on Youtube put up...

I would call it a pathetic tribute to Emmerdale's most iconic character, the heart and soul of the show, but that would frankly be an understatement.

Edited by I Am A Swede

• Members

That's it? That's all the tribute we got on the actual show itself: Victoria spreading the ashes?

I admit that that two-minute clip got me teary-eyed, but it was hardly a sufficient send-off to such an iconic, legendary character. They needed some returns and memorable flashbacks. 

Bert Bauer, the beloved matriarch of The Guiding Light, received a similarly inadequate "tribute" when she died in the mid-1980s. I'm still mad about it to this day.

TPTB always fail to understand that core characters are the lifeblood of soap operas, and viewers want them to be respected.

• Members

Even a memorial service, small (due to COVID) with Victoria and Diane sharing memories and the Woolpack declaring a minute of silence for here would have been something...but considering how the show has treated the Sugdens for decades I am not shocked.

• Members

Yes, that's all we got. I will admit though that, like you, I did find the scene rather poignant and touching in an understated sort of way. I do still find Moira's presence completely unnecessary though. The cynic in me can't help thinking that they desperately wanted to inject some sort of Dingle in the scene, and Moira, while not a Dingle by blood, was the closest they could come and still make it somewhat believable.

As an absolute minimum I think they should have ended the episode with the classic theme music playing over a picture of Sheila Mercier.

This would also have been worthwhile. The only quibble I have is that the Woolpack would probably have been filled with Dingles, and that thought makes me

I will never forget when the Dingles ruined the memorial for Joe Sugden, and I have never forgiven the show for that.

• Members

I'm not surprised, either, just disappointed and annoyed at TPTB's incompetent, almost dismissive treatment of the situation.

I've loathed the "pod version" of Days of our Lives for the last 40 years or so, but I will give them credit for understanding the deep significance of Alice Horton, and how much the audience loved her. The show put effort into her send-off, and I appreciated it.

The classic theme music playing over a photograph (or a collection of photos taken throughout the years) of Mercier would have lovely.

• Members

Nate/Sam/Belle

(Intriguingly, the show's bosses hinted that the plot is one that couldn't be undertaken by the other soaps.)

The hell does that even mean? 
Only thing I want to see is Kim being the badass Queen B again and taking out that annoying story. 

A Storm, Faiths speculated Death seems to happen for real.

OH No! Not Tracy’s whining again. Ugh

Those returnees are not even worth to be excited about. Their storys were finished. Ugh!

Emmerdale is the most dissapointing soap ever to have made it to 50 years! Maybe I’m just used to better anniversaries. Like Corries 50th! That was dope as hell

I’m sorry. I love Guiding Light and don’t mean that as an insult but even Guiding Light’s weird new camera filming and writing for the final year was that worse or tiresome. Emmerdale is/was one of my favorites since I was 11 years old. But I think it’s time to end that [!@#$%^&*] or switch producers. But I don’t think anyone could save that garbage. Like Days of Our Lives! Just end this mess.