Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Members

As the matriarch of the decimated Sugden family, I would be happy to see Diane, especially if she was used to introduce significant flashbacks featuring beloved characters. (I know, I know, that's me dreaming in Technicolor. Sigh.)

The show seems to love Danny Miller/Aaron, so technically TPTB could create some new storyline fodder for him, but...would it be riveting and worth following?

To me, the gold standard for anniversaries will always be the 30th anniversary celebration for As the World Turns. That was beautifully done. I loved the 10th anniversary of Another World too. I also grudgingly gave credit to TGL for putting on a good 70th anniversary episode (when they flashed back to the show's radio era), even though the overall show was painful to watch at that point. Even Search for Tomorrow's 35th anniversary satisfied me. More often than not, however, anniversary eps fall flat. (All My Children's 20th anniversary show was just weird.)

I'm at the same point. My patience has run out, and with nothing but incompetent production for certain series in the forseeable future, the end needs to come sooner rather than later.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

@I Am A Swedethe dingles annoy the [!@#$%^&*] out of me by now. I can’t believe they are THE main family of ED. That speaks for itself.

@vetsoapfan I love Diana but the way she left for Portugal last year just don’t give my hopes up tbh. They we have returnees that just left a year ago or in Robert’s a few seems like they couldn’t get anyone better.

I watched Atwt and their 30th anniversary and enjoyed it very much. 
Coronation Streets 50th will always be my favorite and from that German soap “GZSZ” the 10th anniversary. Hughe twists that no one saw coming back then. 
Oltl’s 7000th episode anniversary in 95 was amazing as well.

I haven’t watched Emmerdale for a whole week and I didn’t missed it

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

The Dingles being the alleged new core of Emmerdale is as egregious as when the Shaynes became such a focal point of TGL in the 1980s. Or Sonny, Jason, Roger Howarth, and The Mob taking over and infecting General Hospital. Or the Rappadorks descending upon OLTL.VOMIT!!!

I'd be happy to see Andy Sugden return for the anniversary. If we could have Diane, Andy, Victoria, and even Robert gather together, discuss the family history and share flashbacks, that would be a poignant gift for longtime fans. Of course, I'm not holding my breath. Over the years, TPTB have inexplicably slaughtered so many Sugdens, I doubt the clan can ever be rebuilt. How the show dealt with Annie's death shows they don't don't care about the original core family anymore, alas.

• Members

I hated a lot of Corrie's  50th, so I will probably have a higher opinion of this by default, but they have done nothing to make me care. Or much of anyone. This would be the perfect time to bring in another offshoot of the Sugdens, or ask Karl Davies if he might return for one episode, or even Kelvin for one episode, but it's a lot of nothing.

• Members

Are any "offshoots" of the Sugden family even left alive out there, to bring in? (I'm not being sarcastic; I'm genuinely curious because as far as I can tell, the vast majority of the family has been killed off over the decades.)

I'll never stop scratching my head over the idiotic and gratuitously destructive decision to kill off the twins. I suppose the writers could weave an elaborate story to reveal that the children had actually survived, and been kidnapped way back when, by someone who was desperate to raise them. I hate this sort of revisionist plot, but the Finding Sabrina saga on ATWT was ultimately successful. And since Joe died off-screen, they could twist that around to bring him and/or some previously-unknown offspring back to town. I'd be willing to forgive creaky revisionist history to expand the family.

Are there any Sugdens, whom you can think of, who are SUPPOSED to still be alive and who could be woven into the current version of the show?

• Members

There were the Crossthwaites, Annie's cousins (although I know Annie was not a blood Sugden).  I was thinking more along the lines  of bringing  in a long-lost  child for Joe or Jack. Saying that Marian's child was Jack's after all would be a good way to tie 50 years of history into present day. 

• Members

A while ago we got that list of top 10 episodes people felt defined Emmerdale.  (

)

Well, in honour of the show's upcoming 50th anniversary I thought I would choose the top 10, not episodes, but storylines, that I feel have been important during the years. I'm sure you all will have your own lists, but this is mine: