Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Members

I think what you have highlighted--the subtleness that the anniversary episode could've had, is what networks don't want. Heaven forbid we have an anniversary episode that doesn't contain murder, mystery, and mayhem. I assume TPTB think that a simplistic stroll down memory lane with a celebration of the show's community does not suffice. I think they'd be pleasantly surprised that fans do like the simplistic at times. 

Something that always boggled me with soap opera fandoms is that it is so easy for us (the fans) to devise well thought out stories to honor the history of the various shows; however, these folks that get paid hundreds of thousands cannot. I know network heads play a role in it (too) but damn. I literally took you probably 5 minutes to devise a proper anniversary episode that would've been just as moving and not with all special effects and hollowness. A lot of y'all on this board need to highly consider becoming writers if you aren't already. 

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

She was such an underrated part of the show. I always wished they gave her a stronger spotlight. Glad to see it was her decision and I hope she leaves alive. I've never cared for Jai much, except for the surprisingly wonderful short-time romance with Holly and the subsequent con-woman story. Rishi was okay, but everyone knows Nikhil was the best of them. One of the best characters of the '10's actually.

Edited by Bright Eyes

• Members

But they didn't really give him much material during the time he was there. He literally used to have episodes of him just popping up on a bicycle and saying a cute line. They didn't toss him anything until that last lap with everything with Gennie.

Didn't they just have Victoria walk into the fields and spread her ashes like she was some random?

Edited by NothinButAttitude

• Members

Jokes aside, I never get how these shows do these half-assed sendoffs to the matriarchs and patriarchs that started the show and feel they suffice. My mind instantly goes to the sendoff they have Nancy on ATWT, which I felt was more about Katie than Nancy. 

I just miss seeing Rik Makarem's handsome face on my screen. I swear after he left, my interest in the show started to deplete. Once Ashley died and Robert soon left, I really haven't watched since.