Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Members

I could have lived with the send-off Annie got. It was kind of touching in its simplicity. But when they justify doing a grand funeral for Faith and Liv with the words that they used (hugely epic and much loved), then I see red. Annie was Emmerdale Farm for 20 years, and compared to her Faith and Liv are insignificant nobodies.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

One other huge lost opportunity for me was the Emmerdale 50 year special.  Rather than recapping stories in order to lure viewers into the cannon of the series, it was pairs of talking head actors (with way too many Dingles) reminiscing about shooting scenes outside in the cold.

There was no distinction between this special and the 40th anniversary special.  There was no insight into changing directions on the show due to producers or writers.  There was no sense of the cultural impact (unlike the memorable Corrie special that had clips of the societal response to the Free Deirdre movement, and explored the tabloids effects on the soap).  Emmerdale has had some real life controversies that could have been covered now with the passage of time.  So, it felt cheep and poorly constructed.

• Members

Absolutely nothing about this anniversary has been good, in any way. I should have known better, but I so wanted them to do something special. 50 years is such a massive achievement, but they utterly failed to celebrate it.

The documentary, Emmerdale - 50 Unforgettable Years, was frankly shockingly bad. Almost nothing about the show's early years, and the only actor from the old days to appear was Frazer Hines. I realize that many of them are gone, but certainly not all.

Shame on you Emmerdale.  

Please register in order to view this content