Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Which scenes have had him as homophobic recently?

All of the '80s content I've seen doesn't seem far off what you could watch on television today (just more thoughtful and better written and acted). I think only some of the '70s episodes have that marked difference.

• Members

I think the pace is slower than you'd get now, both when it comes to storylines and how the episodes play out. Nowadays you get quicker cuts, more scenes, more characters in every episode compared to how it was, even during the 80s. I do agree though that the difference is even more noticeable when you look at episodes from the 70s. But back then it felt like you actually watched people living their lives, now you watch characters playing out their storylines.

• Members

Yes, absolutely 100% watch the Farm era lol no disrespect to j swift, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone dismiss the early years like that. It’s slow-moving soap and super mundane - one of the early storylines focuses on a road running through the farm - but it’s very filling, if that makes sense. Not much “happens,” but you will easily get pulled into that village over the course of maybe the first five episodes.

Unfortunately, it’s literally just the first 20. The following episodes may or may not be on YT at the moment - it feels like they pop up and disappear a lot.

• Members

If the first 20 are just up like that, I'm willing to bet the rest will turn up commercially as well. It wouldn't shock me if Kanopy, the free nationwide public library streaming service, got them (though I haven't looked) as they did with Bill Gunn's wonderful avant-garde soap Personal Problems, which I think only went out to PBS affiliates in the early '80s (and then migrated to local radio).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

I've not been paying that much attention to Emmerdale recently, but apparently they just had a major "twist".... it turns out that Caleb, the never-before-heard-of half-brother to Cain and Chas is the long-lost illegitimate son to Frank Tate. And now he's here to claim what he sees is his birthright: Home Farm. 

*sigh*

I guess one should be happy that they're using the show's history (in a way) but this "twist" just feels tired and uninspired. I have a hard time picturing the Frank Tate I knew giving Faith Dingle the time of day. Sure, he had a drinking problem, so I guess something might have happened if he was drunk out of his mind... But that doesn't explain why Caleb would see Home Farm as his birthright. Frank only owned it for about 9 years, and it has had several owners since then. It's just a flimsy excuse to pit him against Kim.

It would have made a little more sense, and used even more Emmerdale history, if Caleb had been a product of an affair between Faith and Gerald Verney. The Verney's owned Home Farm (or Miffield Hall as it was known back then) for centuries. They lost it when Gerald had to sell up after the death of his uncle George, the last Verney who lived at Miffield Hall back when the show began in 1972. That would have made his claim about "birthright" seem a little more plausible. But I seriously doubt that many people involved in Emmerdale today even know this piece of history.