Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Sorry in advance for the long post!

While I think Emmerdale is better than the remaining American soaps, they need new producers and writers.   The show does stand-alone episodes and stunts very well, the regular episodes sometimes are tedious to watch.  The show kills off the wrong characters and puts the other characters in wrong storylines.  Faith, Al, and Liv should never have been killed off.  Instead of killing Faith, Zack has barely been in the show the last three or four years, he should have been killed off.  Without Lisa, he was a spare part anyway.  

With Al, Cain should never have been involved in the cheating storyline with him and Chas.  But, since the writers inserted him, instead of Al getting shot in that barn, it should have been Kyle.  There really would have been a reason for their feud then.  As far as Liv, if Isobel Steele wanted to leave the show, why not take a page from the US soaps and recast?  There is more story with her being alive, then being dead.  

Then you have the teen scene.  Instead of this stupid internet story with Amelia, she should have been killed off instead of Harriet, and Dan vs Sam and Lydia should have been fighting for custody of baby Esther.  Noah is one of the only Tates left and Kim should have been trying to groom him to take over.  Charity would have problems with that, so then you have Charity vs Kim.  I would have Samson vs Jacob battle over a new girl in the village, not Chloe or Gabby!

Since Laurel is still being listed as Laurel Thomas instead of Laurel Sharma, I guess her marriage to Jai is not going to last long.  Charlotte Bellamy and Chris Bisson do not have any romantic chemistry.  She only worked with John Middleton (Ashley).

• Members

I was at The ED BBQ event a few years ago. Visited the studio and even went to the British soap awards this year and met the fantastic teens of the show. BUT ED being better than all of the US Soaps? A hard no. I watched ED since I can remember and even own nearly all episodes besides some of the 80’s.  But ED has been so boring since the Meena-Story ended and Chas/Al (I didn’t enjoyed it but at least it was something).. 

Amelia is one of the best in the show right now with Gabby. I really came around to love her.

The younger crew is kinda carrying the show which is not hard when the older cast is phoning it in. Especially David, Victoria and some others. Idk what happened but the actors and actresses of some seem like are on a 5 to 9 job with no passion for it. 

I’ll rate GH higher than ED these days. Even though the Diane plot might be dragging on Y&R it is still more watchable than the annoying Vicar and his family.

They already confirmed 5 more exits and it seems like that boring family ain’t one of them

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by AMCOLTLLover

• Members

Simply put the show has gotten it wrong with so many storylines and couplings. I agree about Jai and Laurel; it's void of any chemistry. So are Wendy and the doctor. The show needs a team with a long term vision, and ones that are capable telling which actors have chemistry, and which ones don't have it on screen. 

• Members

I think the Laurel/Jai pairing is decent. Laurel has only really had chemistry with one partner her whole run on the show, and the same goes for Jai. It mostly depends on the storyline. I hated the story about Arthur bullying Jai's son, Archie, but the abortion story they had a few years ago was one of the strongest the show has had in recent years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

So, another Emmerdale character (Dan Spencer) gets sent away for a long prison term, following in the footsteps of Nick Bates, Steve Marchant, Robert Sugden, Meena Jutla etc. Yet we can't seem to get anything else than short-term prison stays for any of the Dingles....and even when they do go to prison they keep appearing.   

• Members

I don't want to link to the Sun, but they are claiming Matthew Wolfenden (David) is leaving, due to "lack of gritty storylines."

David was a favorite character of mine many years ago, but not in recent times, especially with the rumors that went around a few years ago. 

I am mostly just sorry over what this might mean for Eric's role on the canvas, and maybe Leyla. Otherwise, bye. 

And @I Am A Swede can chalk this up as a win too as it makes Debbie returning even less likely.

• Members

As much as I detest Chloe, it's so lame how British soaps(Corrie, Emmerdale, heck even EE)  love doing stories where the parent of a child dies, and the child gets taken care of by the couple TPTB want us to root for. 

Edited by MichaelGL