Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

@I Am A Swede, I am just messing with you. 

Please register in order to view this content

I know you hate the Dingles but I just gotta poke you every now and then to see your reaction. It is one of my favorite things on this thread to read--your disdain for all things Dingles. But I agree that Dingles have swallowed this show for far too long. It is only 3 Dingles that I've truly cared for on this show. 

But if that specific Dingle ain't dead after that, I don't know what will kill them. In all seriousness, no one would survive that accident. Especially, in the middle of a storm. 

The scream of laughter I just let out over the truthfulness of this comment.

• Members

Only

Please register in order to view this content

I'm not counting Faith since she died of cancer before the storm.

So, I'd say that this storm has been a major letdown, and definitely not what I would call a worthy celebration of the 50th anniversary in any way. And the fact that Tracy, Aaron and Diane were the only characters returning just shows how little thought went into this. I'm bitterly disappointed with every aspect of it.

• Members

I have tried  to watch some of the week, but I am mostly thrown by how lacking in any real emotion or drive the show is. When Kim Tate is one of the only characters on the show who has any believable sense of grief (over someone she didn't even like),  something is wrong. I was especially appalled by the behavior of Chas. 

• Members

That's it? With a show that has a rich, 50 year history, they only brought back 3 characters? Jesus. That worries me. If I were EP or even worked for the neighborhood, I'd want to roll out the red carpet for this historic occasion. Anniversary episodes/specials, a plethora of old characters popping in, just something to celebrate the occasion. 

And stunts that kill off 2 people are boring at this point. If you ain't gonna slaughter half the cast at this point, I don't care. It is not shocking TV for 2 people dying. From reading updates that you and @DRW50post on here, they could've killed off at least 10-12 characters. 

I saddens me that soaps all around the world are running low on fumes and basically nearing their ends. And they don't have to near their ends if TPTB would stop being lazy and revert back to compelling, sensible stories. Streaming platform shows are basically making millions off of classic soap storytelling; meanwhile, soap themselves constantly try and recreate the wheel when it isn't necessary. 

• Members

I get that the show wants to depart from its pastoral past prior to the early 90s, but they need to come to terms and embrace that rich history. So many unblemished characters with stories could be brought back to richen the show. All the soaps need to revert back to their original identities b/c when they tend to stray from them, that's when they lose what captivated the audience originally.

• Members

It is indeed sad that they so completely squandered this moment. It's not that many shows in history that gets to celebrate a 50th anniversary and they really should have done more with it than they did.

I know that Emmerdale is addicted to disasters, and has been ever since the success of the plane crash, but was it really necessary to go back to that well once again for this occasion? Couldn't they have gone in a more positive direction...some kind of jubilee instead for example. There is always so much death and destruction going on and it is exhausting to watch misery all the time.

It has been stated repeatedly in this thread that Emmerdale has really done a number on its own history and it's moments like these when that really comes back to bite the show. They have so successfully removed almost all the ties to pre-plane crash Emmerdale that it's almost impossible to look back to those years. Killing off so many of the younger generation of the extended Sugden family has proved disastrous. Sam & Sally, Jackie and Mark all died without having children, not to mention Joe, and the ones who did have children like Sandie and Rachel have seemingly been erased from history. For all intents and purposes it seems that Emmerdale wants us to think that the show began in the mid 1990s. Anything that happened before (the show's golden years in my opinion) is obviously not important anymore.

• Members

I think what they should have done, instead of the storm, is have it be an anniversary for The Woolpack. Maybe it could celebrate 100 or 150 years or something. That would have given them a reason to bring back some characters from the past with ties to The Woolpack for the festivities. Dolly, who was introduced to the show as a barmaid, Marian Wilks, whose father used to co-own it and Kathy, who also used to work there, are obvious choices. They could also remember that longtime customer Seth actually had two sons (Jimmy and Fred) and bring one or both of them back, with a family. Other possible visits could be Lynn and Louise. Maybe Sandie as well.

It would also have given them the opportunity to show some clips from the shows past and remember people and events from bygone years. Just like an anniversary celebration should do.