Loving/The City Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Could the blonde Judith Hoag with her hair flattened? Burke Moses' Curtis is in the grooms party so I'm wondering if Lotty was in the bridal party. I wonder if the other bridesmaid could be Trisha's school friend who appeared during the "Women of Loving" reunion? I briefly thought it might have been a recast Sherie with a recast Tug in the grooms party, but I don't think that's the case. 

Thanks @victoria foxton . I didn't realize that Teri Keane was back as Rose at this point. I didn't think she appeared again until late 1990 when her and Ed Bryce's Patrick Donovan were brought in for the holidays.

Also, I didn't realize that Jeff's mother was still alive. I just assumed she was dead. 

I did really enjoy the lengthy Stacey and Jack scenes on the train. I forgot how reunions used to be a big deal and there was build to them. It's a shame that the show struggled to find story for them.

The secret of Jeff / Gwyn sleeping together was played for a long time. I wonder if the show ever considered actually pairing Jeff and Gwyn. At least it would have given Gwyn something to do. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

For anyone interested, I recently finished a complete watch of 1993 and did episode counts as I went. Top 5 are Lisa Peluso (168 episodes), Laura Wright (141), Jessica Collins (139), Jean LeClerc (133), and Dennis Parlato (132). Full results are posted here.

• Members

Thanks!

Jeremy is so high on the list largely because of the amount of story he had with Ava, though you could also argue that he's the show's leading man from January-September, when Alex comes back (fun fact: Jeremy and Ava finally get together and are a couple for exactly 1 week in real time before Alex returns). He's involved in a lot of stories that year - he steps in to resolve the gaslighting plot then he and Stacey have a long will they/won't they type thing, he's teaching the college cohort, Hannah develops a thing for him which results in him being investigated by the university and having conflict with both Clay and Dinah Lee, he's a little bit involved in the Trucker/Tess story (he recognizes Tess as someone he crossed paths with once in Monte Carlo), he gets involved in the Ava/Leo/Shana triangle, and then he and Ava end up on the run in Florida. I'm pretty sure he had more story in those nine months of '93 than he did in all the rest of his time on the show.

Edited by Kane

• Members

@Kane Very cool blog. It was very interesting to look over. I was glad to see you had Det. Graham's original name (I don't remember if I recalled the other first name being used, but I remember Pat Hingle playing another detective character). 

I believe I read an article from 1991 about the first AMC/Loving crossover where LeClerc stated he had enjoyed working on "Loving" because of the quicker schedule compared to an hour. He also stated something that made me thing that the "Loving" set was much calmer than the "All My Children" set. Ultimately, I wouldn't be surprised if moving Jeremy to Corinth wasn't a decision made by Haidee Granger, the EP, who took over from Fran Sears. Sears had instigated the Alden U revival over the previous year. It should be noted that Jeremy arrives in October 1992 during a time where Addie Walsh is still credited as headwriter, but it has been suggested that Walsh may in fact have departed much earlier (circa June 1992). 

Jeremy had only been on a few months when Millee Taggert and Robert Guza arrived. Jeremy had lingered in the initial months post- Carter Jones. There was the unresolved thread involving Ceara. Ceara dies in Corinth in December, and the new writers arrive in January. I think they Guza and Taggert were trying to integrate Jeremy while also testing the waters so he was a little bit of everywhere. I still wonder if Jeremy wasn't originally brought on as a love interest for Trisha as the show had spent a better part of 1992 trying to build a Trucker / Stacey storyline. 

The only other time Jean LeClerc lead much story was in the early part of Laurie McCarthy and Addie Walsh's run, but that was when LeClerc was playing Gilbert. The end of the Gilbert story is a guilty pleasure of mine. By no means a good story, but the sequences with Ava, Gilbert, and Sandy in the church leading to Alex shooting Gilbert are pretty dramatic and emotionally gripping.

On another note... December 1991 episodes have made there way online

I really enjoy this period. I wish Mary Ryan Munisteri and Fran Sears had been given a full year.