Loving/The City Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

@dc11786 Thanks. I didn't know much about Jeff's family. I agree this Richard (a bit of a detached player) is more dramatically sound than a psycho obsessed with Trisha. I think you're right about the Minnie and Kate scene. It's fun but it feels very loose for the show. 

@Kane Thanks for that promo. It's too bad how they wasted Rick in the long run. Was he even mentioned in the Loving Murders? I knew that Gwyneth's father was a reverend  but I didn't know he was so old. That makes a lot of sense, somehow. 

Seeing Tudor play herself in (gauzy) flashbacks reminds me of how much younger than the role she apparently was. 

• Members

I agree about Rick. Although I haven't seen very much of his run, I really like Ron Nummi's performance before the show starts taking Rick off the rails. He and Lauren-Marie Taylor had good chemistry and I like the early dynamic between the characters when he's encouraging her writing ambitions. 

• Members

I find the fact that Rick was introduced when they had Curtis fascinating. Despite the class difference, I feel like Rick was a similar character to Curtis in that he was a scheming Alden male. I've always assumed that Rick's position came about because they had dulled Curtis so much over the years. Also, the overlap between Rick and Curtis wasn't very long (about six months? from February - August 1987?) at the start of Rick's run. While I'd always considered how Curtis impacted Rick, it's now dawning on me that Rick also may have impacted Curtis. I wonder if one of the reasons TPTB decided to play Curtis younger in the Stan Albers run was because Nummi needed to appear the eldest based on the timeline. 

I think Rick was mentioned once during at least once during the Alden murders though he was definitely missed once. Clay's son Tommy, on the otherhand, I don't think was ever mentioned after 1991. 

• Members

Rick's original purpose was to move the two Clays plot along. When the truth about Rick's parentage came out, Ava wanted Clay to get a blood test, but Clay said he was going to take Gwyneth at her word and considered the matter closed. Ava, in typical fashion, decided to go behind his back and have a blood test performed in secret and in the process discovered that her Clay and the real Clay had different blood types.

I think you're on to something about Albers' Curtis becoming younger to make room for Rick. Unfortunately they over did it and made it seem like Curtis was younger than Trisha (even though Albers is older than Beck).

• Members

Thanks. I can see why the whole Abril story was forgotten about, although if the show had stayed on, with no Alden massacre, it would have been a good plot (maybe just the kid dropped on his doorstep, Abril nowhere to be found, and Gwyn becoming too attached to him to make up for her past mistakes).

• Members

@KaneI definitely understood the function in the Clay story, but I wish there had been more definition to the story. Maybe it doesn't come across in the plot summaries, but it just seems like Rick is thrown on the canvas. I do like when they pair him with Cece. I do wish those 1987 episodes that were once online would reemerge at some point.

@DRW50There was definitely story to mine with Tommy. I think if Tommy was brought back even when the show was still on when Dinahlee was in Clay's orbit and you had a situation with Dinahlee helping to raise Tommy, Trisha would have gone ape and it would have given her something else to whine about.