June 2-6, 2008

Toups

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can't believe I'm even responding to this, but here goes. Um, no, I'm an objective viewer, and you totally misinterpreted what I was saying. I'm not arguing that AMC is better than OLTL. AMC, except for some bright spots of late, is a shambles. Acting, writing, and production wise, it needs a huge overhaul. OLTL IS probably in better shape than AMC and other shows right now. That's not because OLTL is so great, but because it's one of the better shows of a really bad lot. OLTL has a lot of problems...but fewer than some other shows. Yeah, I found many of the perfomances laughable last week (I was actually cracking up at Bree Williamson's "acting.") and some of the writing pretty spot-on bad. And guess what, so was some of AMC's last week as well. I've been a fan of both AMC and OLTL and a number of other shows for decades. There have been plenty of other times when I thought OLTL was better than AMC (late 70s, most of the second 1/2 of the 80s, mid-90s). Yes, AMC is my first love, but it hasn't always been my favorite throughout the years.

• Members

ABC compares GH to GL because in most markets they are head-to-head, even if that's not the case in 40% of the larger markets. It's important to note that the markets in which GL does air in the mornings are markets in which the ABC soaps have been ratings dominant for decades and the CBS affiliates are owned by CBS itself and GL was moved by the network because it was getting massacred mercilessly by GH and would probably be getting even worse ratings if they put it back on at 3PM in those markets. Even at 10AM with no soap competition, GL is now in 5th place here in Detroit behind Ellen, Martha Stewart, Tyra Banks, and a judge show. Just a few years ago it was usually second behind Martha or third behind Rosie and Martha.

• Members

I won't feel bad adding in a few comments about OLTL, since it's my favorite show and so many have already commented in here.

I do feel like it deserves a ratings increase, because of three main reasons: 1) longtime fans like myself are enjoying the show more than we have in ages; 2) a lot of non-fans are tuning in; and 3) the show is making an honest-to-God effort to write for their veterans.

To each their own, but in reading various threads over the last few weeks, it amazes me how differently people are responding to the performances of Bree Williamson. I would say 50 percent of the posters (an estimate) think she was amazing, Emmy-worthy, brilliant ... 40 percent or so think she was "laughable," "pathetic," horrible, etc., and maybe 10 percent think she was very good but not great. This is fine, because difference of opinion makes the world go 'round. However, it's odd to me that reactions can range from the most lavish of praise to utter contempt for her work.

I would caution anyone to be wishing death or poor ratings on any soap opera. This is a dying genre, and none of the 8 shows need negative vibes or bad karma.

Archived