June 2-6, 2008

Toups

• Administrator

In total viewers, yeah.

May 19-23: DAYS 2,837,000 (-76,000/+38,000)

May 26-30: DAYS 2,667,000 (-170,000/-263,000)

June 2-6: DAYS 2,396,000 (-271,000/-238,000)

DAYS almost lost half a million viewers since the week of the rape victim having sex with her rapist......but of course we don't know for sure if that was the cause. ;)

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

AMC fan checking in. I'm THRILLED to see OLTL doing well. I have to say I was a LOOOOONG time lapsed viewer of OLTL until recently but they've done some really good things over there and I'm finding it to be an incredibly entertaining hour. Is this really how OLTL fans view AMC fans???

• Members

no it's not how all OLTL viewers view AMC fans. It's just that on this board there have been a few fights between some of the fans because when OLTL was down some fans blamed it on the sucky writing over at GH and AMC, and I myself feel like OLTL is treated by ABC as the redheaded stepchild of the network. I do remember some comments from AMC viewers when the ratings went back up saying that when they went down again they would blame it on AMC and I think that's where the animosity comes from. I know there a lot of AMC fans who are fans of OLTL and vice versa(not me) but I think every fan of an ABC show wants their soap to do the best and that's bound to cause problems.

• Members

I will say this....

I've tried to be a really good soap fan lately, and not wish anything bad on the soaps...and I've done that (I think). I think it's sad that the ratings are down for ATWT/Gl/DAYS....BUT......a lot of their issues IMO stems from the people in charge.

I've been very vocal against Sami/EJ hooking up, and though I'm sad the ratings are down, a part of me can't help but smirk at what, I feel, has caused the ratings to go down (on top of some other stuff with the show).

I've been enjoying many parts of DAYS lately, so they are doing some things right over there.

• Members

I don't believe Sami sleeping with EJ had anything to do with last week's ratings. Most fans don't turn off a show because they disapprove of a storyline. Most of them leave because they are bored. That is how the past two weeks have found me. It isn't just the Ejamicus situation...most of Days' storylines lack energy right now. There are two many flashbacks from recent episodes, and as someone else pointed out, there is little direction for any of the characters. It's a mess. Given all the above, I think Sami sleeping with EJ is the least of Days' worries right now. JMO, of course.

• Members

Yes, I think we have found Y&R's new place on the "moving average". A rapid tune-out over the past month (I think mostly due to disgust with Victor and Sabrina). To paraphrase Victor, those viewers "ain't" coming back. This new low plateau is the more meaningful story than any semi-random week to week variation.

• Members

I really do think my theory is "disgust".

If networks/shows want to focus-group a story, or field-test a character, they should explicitly measure disgust.

(There are some great international affect-coding systems that would give them reliable measures).

I'm willing to bet that the magnitude of measured disgust is going to be the best predictor of tune-out.

• Members

Don't you guys know this is the Dena effect...everytime she writes for a soap, the ratings just drop...I mean a summer full of crap like Chan and stax is going to leave DOOL in the basement

Good job Dena

But, good job OLTL...They deserve it. The only soap that is entertaining and not flashforward material.

Archived