Dynasty Discussion Thread

• Members

Fallon is brilliant in season one. For me, Dynasty is only good seasons 1-2 & 9. Right now I've been re-watching the series and it has been a chore to get through. I'm currently stuck somewhere in season six, but I haven't watched in two months. I decided to watch The Colbys, which actually was MUCH better than Dynasty was at that point. Both seasons were good, but season two you can see a huge improvement.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Ya, the first season is pretty painful IMO. I think it started out WAY to slow. Also, the poor family really didn't fit in. It is funny how Dallas was original going to be about lifestyle then became all about Ewing Oil then dynasty was going to be about business then it became more about lifestyle. KL is the best. I love Abby!!!

• Members

I love my campy over-the-top drama (hence, my immense love for Melrose Place), but surprisingly I find season one of Dynasty (granted, I've only watched seasons 1 through part of 5) the best. Yes, it's slow. It's like a different era of television (i.e. 70's) in the slow pace and the focus on character development (which is a good thing, just slow). I love the sibling bond between Fallon and Steven. As they pointed out in the reunion, their characters are opposite of what you'd expect. Fallon is following in her father's footsteps while Steven doesn't want to do anything with the company (and likes men!)

I do agree though that the 2 episodes where they focus heavily on the Blaisdel family, it's not very interesting.

P.S. I love the cat 'n mouse game that Fallon plays with Jeff and Roman the chauffeur. And also the fact that Fallon was more interested in romancing Cecil Colby.

Aw, I think I'm gonna do a season one marathon this weekend :)

P.S. Did Heather Locklear have some sort of surgery on her nose sometime in the mid-80's? Not necessarily plastic surgery, but something that would clear up her sinus passages. She sounds SO congested in early years but it clears up later.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

The first season can be amazing though, especially if you have seen/read "I Claudius", which Dynasty was partially based upon. Granted all of the oil crap with Matthew/Walter is incredibly boring but the Carrington family drama is at its best and most realistic in season 1. The pace is painstakingly slow but it's a 13 episode, complete arc, maybe one of the best arcs in network tv history.

That said upping the ante in season 2 was great as well and season 2 stands out as an amazing season in television history. But it would have been interesting to see the season 1 trajectory play out, still gutting Walter, Matthew, and Lindsay. There is something incredibly and unmatchably glam about the understated glamness of season 1.

I haven't seen it in 5/6 years but I don't think my opinion would change.

Edited by juppiter

• Members

That's a gorgeous set, but I wish they'd use a better picture of Blake from the earlier seasons. He looks so puffy there!!

Also, I'm just gonna be sitting here saying that the best Dynasty was the busy, campy, hilarious, fun Dynasty of S3-S5. Miss me with the understated nonsense. When I watch Dynasty, I want DYNASTY.

• Members

I'm rewatching the show and in all honesty, season 1 isn't that bad. It's different from what it became for sure and the Blaisdels are terminally boring, but it makes up for it with the Carrington drama, especially Steven's and Fallon's relationship.

• 2 months later...