Melrose Place

• Members

In the second season she did earn $40k per episode, up from $25k in season one and "nearly double" of what other cast members got:

https://ew.com/article/1993/08/06/heather-locklears-pay-increase/

By the end of Melrose she was picking up somewhere between $100-125k per episode (some sources say that a significant increase happened as early as season 3 or 4). It's worth to remember with Melrose Place's long seasons and large ensemble that's a lot to pay an individual actor. I heard Luke got around $90k per episode when he returned to Beverly Hills 90210 in season 9.

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It was outrageous, and I’m really happy she went public with it.  The show is only good with both of them in it.

This genre is filled with this crap too.

It’s the same thing at GH with Genie and Tony.  She spent almost all of her 1990’s era return fighting for parity with him- wages, time off, terms.  And she describes it as a battle, and when she left under JFP she was tired of fighting.

The only time I remember a huge hit show that’s an ensemble offering a woman more was when Julianna Margulies left ER.  Rumors were at the time they offered her more to stay than the deals Anthony Edwards and Eriq La Salle ended up with when they re-signed their contracts, as all three expired at the same time.  A lot more!

Heather should have been the highest paid.  I think I Larry Hagman deserved the most money from Dallas too- they both brought significant audience to these shows and attention.  Now considering how much money Melrose made in demos, I think the rest of the OG cast deserved more money too.  Even if it was a FOX show.  People forget 90210, Melrose, and then X-Files made FOX a real network on par with the big three.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

And he got it. The problem was with the next tier down. When Patrick Duffy returned, he doubled his salary to 75K per episode (big money in the mid 80s) plus a signing bonus. Victoria Principal asked for salary parity with him and she walked when she didn’t get it. and I’d argue that Pam was even more important to the story than Bobby was. There was a greater ratings drop for the show without Pam than without Bobby.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

July 8 will be 30 years since Melrose Place premiered. I feel the same way about Melrose Place as I do about Beverly Hills 90210, no nostalgia for it and no longing to rewatch it. The first three seasons of Melrose Place were the best. I lost interest during the 4th season and never went back to it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I have nostalgia for it, but I'm certainly not holding out hope for any reboot of any type at this point. Just as Roseanne will always be my all-time favorite 90's sitcom, Melrose will always be my favorite 90's primetime drama.  And yes, it's Season 1 through 4 for me, with the latter half of 4 being its descent. 

Anyhow, happy 30th anniversary! Strange how I remember watching the first episode 30 years ago even though I'm still 29.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Gray Bunny

• Members

Honestly though, does it need a reboot? I love the characters, but it wouldn't make sense for them to live in Melrose Place all these years later and in all honesty, you can make the core of the show into a new one - I actually thought the short-lived Canadian L. A. Complex was a better Melrose Place than the Melrose Place reboot!

I kind of feel the same way about Knots Landing - it's a show about a bunch of people living in close proximity to each other so they get into each others business. Just do a show from scratch instead and don't have the baggage of the old shows.