Melrose Place

• Members
Posted (edited)

A pregnant Taylor wouldnt have worked with the show's original plans for the character but I dont get why they didnt just pivot. It could have been worked into the storyline and her insecurities. Give her a miscarriage in a dramatic scene to write her off and use that to fuel her hate for Amanda, crumble her marriage to Kyle and set her up to go after Peter unapologetically. Ultimately she ends the season inthe same place bu the journey to get there is altered

Edited by Cheap21

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

To play devil's advocate - Tylo announced that she was pregnant in March and gave birth in November; the show would've started filming in mid-July, so she should've been like five months pregnant when the show started. I can see how they would've had big issues with working it in, but also it would've been hard to hide at that point. 

It goes without saying that they could've handled it better than they did, but I can see why they thought it was a headache for the arc they had planned for Taylor.

• Members

Am I the only one who can't imagine Tylo as Taylor at all?  Even early Taylor before she became wacky?  Lisa Rinna has such a different vibe and different strengths as an actress.  Of course, once they fired Hunter the character could have changed to fit Lisa more, but I can never picture HT as Taylor.

• Members

So this is probably a hot take and I am not agreeing with how Spelling went about firing her, but I often wonder if HT's pregnancy was the straw that broke a casting that was wrong from the beginning.  Once the writers starting creating the story, HT just wasn't the right fit in general.  It was a stupid excuse to use and cost Spelling a lot, but I could see him being old school and thinking he could get away with it.  I guess what I am saying is that I assume her pregnancy wasn't the only reason Tylo was let go.  Then again a jury agreed with Tylo so I could just be spit balling theories lol

• Members
Posted (edited)

I could kind of see Tylo in the role in those early episodes when Taylor was meant to be "mysterious", but I think Rinna's energy quickly took over everything on screen and then it translated into the scripts (as it should tbh). But I think it was originally meant to be more of a "quiet" desperation about her, especially when she did everything to try and keep Peter. Season 5 of Melrose Place was meant to be toned down (and you can kind of tell by the storylines being - as someone eloquently put it "daytime slow at a breakneck speed"), but Rinna certainly didn't get the memo.

Another in example I thought about is Taylor and Kyle's relationship - I think it was meant to come across as she was kind of the neglected wife, which is why she went off to look for Peter in the first place. But then Lisa's energy entirely took over and she comes across as a bit of a flying harpy and yeah, of course Kyle would cheat.

Edited by te.

• Members
Posted (edited)

I don't know why, but I always thought Hunter Tylo was cast to appear as the woman who wound up getting killed when Marcia Cross's character tried to blow up the building.  I think the part wound up being played by Morgan Britany, and she was the wife of a character who one of the female leads was having an affair with (maybe Jane?)

I have a vague recollection that Kimberly had an alter ego, like the killer on Twin Peaks.  And they had to delay or reshoot the episode because of a bombing in real life.  Does anyone remember that reference? 

Edited by j swift

• Members
Posted (edited)

No, that was never supposed to be Hunter. She was only supposed to play Taylor McBride. Morgan Brittany's character (Mackenzie Hart) was short-term and two years before.

The bombing footage was delayed from the S3 finale to the S4 premiere because of the Oklahoma City bombing.

Edited by Vee

• Members
Posted (edited)

Technically, Morgan Brittany only filmed to appear in The Big Bang Theory aka the two hour finale of season 3. Since the explosion was post-poned to the season 4 premiere, but she technically didn't film anything for that. You can tell that post-explosion there's no shot of her when the others get up with fabulous new hair-do's.

ETA: I've said it before, but I suspect that the episode was first set to end with Amanda mouthing "oh my God", then the explosion of her apartment pushing her down the stairs. Post that you can clearly see Sydney has a new hair-do:

Edited by te.