Melrose Place

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

These shows were always wonky about distances - O/T but I've been starting to watch through Dawson's Creek and in one episode Joey's sister gives birth and the ambulance can't come there and it's portrayed as Joey/Dawson/Jen lives in the middle of nowhere. Two episodes later they go to a beach party, the area is clearly heavily populated (it looks like it was the same house that they would eventually use as Emily Thorne's beach house on Revenge) and Joey gets drunk, so Dawson and Pacey get her home without an issue supposedly by walking home.

TL;DR these distances are just plot dictated. I wouldn't put too much stock in how it actually is in real life. In real life, Michael would've eventually just fallen out of touch with the people at the apartment complex, Sydney wouldn't have taken his laundry to the apartment complex to wash them (in one episode it's implied she skated there) and so on. We roll with it because it makes for a delicious soap, plus we got a new pretty location out of it.

Edited by te.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Members

I started re-watching the show from the very beginning a couple of weeks ago and have now reached the middle of season 5 (Jane's departure).

Watching the seasons back to back in such a short span of time, it's really striking that seasons 2 and 3 are the "golden era" of the show. Usually you had 3 storylines per episodes, and that was totally fine for a cast of 8 or 9 regular characters plus a set of rotating recurring/guest stars.

When season 4 started, there was a major shift – suddenly everyone acted and looked much older than these characters were supposed to be. For example, Billy is said to be in his mid-20s in season 5, but everyone looks at least 10 years older than that. The storylines in season 4 are very OTT, especially everything involving Kimberly. Also, there were now at least 5 different storylines per episode. However, while Amanda and Peter were clearly pushed as the show's main characters at that point, all the characters still had equal screentime. I also liked those little scenes where characters that usually didn't have much overlap had a brief chat in the courtyard or at "Shooters", for example such combinations as Kimberly/Jake or Sydney/Alison. It felt like they were truly neighbors or were part of each other's lives.

After Brooke's death, the show takes a turn to the "dark side". There are no longer any funny dialogues, and everyone really hated each other. I loved Brooke and wished she'd stayed on board much longer.

In season 5, the cast was way too large, and suddenly you have like 7 different storylines per episode, with several characters only having 2 or 3 scenes each episode. Some characters, who used to be in each other's orbits in previous seasons, don't even interact with each other anymore. For example, Jane didn't share a single scene with Michael, Matt or Kimberly, and Kimberly hasn't shared a single scene with Sydney. Apart from Amanda, Peter and Sydney, Taylor and Kyle don't interact with anybody in the apartment complex. The few instances where Taylor briefly talked to Kimberly, Jane, Billy, Alison or Jake, it felt like they were in completely different shows. I don't think Kimberly ever met Samantha or Kyle.

Speaking of Samantha, I don't mind her this time around. I remember that I couldn't stand her in season 6, but so far, she's been unoffending. I would have preferred her staying with Craig instead of getting involved with Billy because that would have caused more drama, and Craig was wasted in the boring Amanda/Peter mess.

Edited by Huntress

• Members

I just realized on my recent rewatch, that while the show is somehow known for catfight, they were very rare. In fact, in 7 seasons Amanda slaps only ONE female character and it's in the last season. 

Also, the characters jump into marriage super fast, it's really crazy.

One little nuance that I have always liked, is the repeating of wardrobe and some of the other more realistic behavior.

• 9 months later...
  • Members

I liked Rhonda, but structurally Amanda makes MP into a workplace drama.  I wonder if it had been too difficult to create situations for all the characters to interact at the apartment complex?  90210 needed the school as a base to meet new people, and I think MP would have become too insular if they only talked around the pool or at Shooters.  So, although I think it is more realistic to have dancers, actors, and creatives all in a Los Angeles based soap, I can empathize with the need to create a work base for added drama. 

• Members

I think Rhonda was just too grounded and normal to exist beyond season 1.  It's a shame they didn't do more with the character and VW, but I thought Rhonda was pretty dull.  I don't see her fitting in with the bed hopping and backstabbing that started in season 2.  Plus as @j swift said she didn't fit into any workplace drama and how much drama can be squeezed from being a jazzercise instructor lol?

• Members

I loved VW from many things and therefore loved Rhonda. I think they could've made her work, as many or even most characters didn't work at D&D, etc. or with Amanda from Season 2-on and had various jobs at various places. It could've been done, or you could've found a way to fold Rhonda's skills into something involving the fashion business with Jane, Jo, Syd, etc. But the structure of MP and its all-white sensibility never empowered any Black performers. Jasmine Guy lasted three minutes and Anne-Marie Johnson's character, woof.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Obviously Melrose was always very white centered, but I also think Rhonda was a victim of circumstance.  Her closest ties were Sandy and Matt and Sandy was dumped pretty early.  There is an obvious undertone of racism, but when MP start scrambling for ratings Rhonda was mostly forgotten.  She never really established relationships with the new cast additions.  I think in the end both Matt and Rhonda were on the chopping block and the show decided to keep the gay character because it was more edgy at the time.