The Culture Thread of SON

Shawn

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My heritage can be traced back to Ireland, England and Germany. However both my mother and father's side of the family has been settled in Canada for several generations. The story my grandfather had on my dad's side is the family came over sometime in the 1820's.

• Members

My mother was adopted and nothing is known about her family line. She is a blue-eyed blond and I have always assumed she was of northern or central European ancestry. My father's family are all Ashkenazi Jews as far back as we know. His maternal grandmother was an immigrant from somewhere in the Austro-Hungarian empire. His paternal grandfather was born in Prussia. His other two grandparents were born in the USA of immigrant parents (one from Poland and the others from Germany). I had genetic testing done which shows that my Y-chromosome (inherited from father's, father's, father's, etc. side) is haplogroup J1; it is rare in Europe except for Jews. Most of my close matches are other Ashkenazi Jews but I share that haplogroup with Sephardic Jews, Arabs and Samaritins as well as some people in Greece and southern Italy (likely through Jewish and Arab migration to those areas). I decided to have my mitochondrial DNA (mother's, mother's, mother's, etc. side) tested to see what I could find out about that line. Unfortunately, mtDNA is not as sensitive a marker as yDNA; my mtDNA haplogroup is H7 which doesn't really tell me a whole lot. H is the most common mtDNA haplogroup tested so far and includes most of Europe. The subclade of 7 (she is H7) is relatively rare but still not very specific.

• Members

Africian american, with a bit of french, irish native american (on both sides). Now my great great grandmother was white but I'm not exactly sure of her heritage. She was married to my great-great grandfather and lived on Kansas, one of the very few places in that day where interracial marriage was allowed.

• Members

Chinese Catholic on my mother's side, mostly Hong Kong. My father's side was supposedly lily white Anglo-Saxon Protestant, until I came along and looked a little darker than white or Asian. Turns out my Dad's grandmother was Afro-Caribbean. So much racism in my family growing up, tore my parents apart for many years, but they never divorced and eventually got back together. Now Dad is gone and I'm sure my mother regrets the time they spent apart over something so silly on one hand and so hateful on the other. For a long time I stupidly turned my back on the Chinese part of my heritage because of it. When I had to have legitmate opthalmoplasty on my eyelids (ptosis), I asked to look less Asian afterward. Hate breeds hate. Stupid.

The good thing to arise from all of it is that the world didn't end with my family's racial mix, and most of my Asian cousins - and their parents - don't give a damn about anyone dating or marrying outside their own race.

• Members

On my father's side, we trace back to Scottish, Irish, Norwegian, and French, most recently Scotch/Irish.

On mother's side, we are pure English/Irish.

My father had the near white skin coloring, pale blue eyes and blonde hair. Mother has red hair and green eyes, with the skin to match.

Ordinarily we (sister and brother) say we are Scotch/English/Irish. Unfortunately we all have the dry sense of humor, too.

• 7 years later...

Archived