The Culture Thread of SON

Shawn

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Love the family crest!

I am 100% Irish. Three of my grandparents came over from Ireland when they were very young and my grandmother was born in Mass.

My paternal grandparents married and moved to New Hampshire. My maternal grandparents lived in Mass for years and years until WW1 (Yes, my mother is that old). They then moved to NH because my grandfather got a job with the railroads.

Cute story about my parents. They met at the YMCA, where the town always had teen dances. They went to different high schools. They dated on and off for 14 years before my father proposed. When my father passed, it was three weeks away from there 35th wedding anniversary. So they were together almost 50 years.

• Members

Hmmm...

My immediate family is from Jamaica, with some relatives from Cuba. From there, it's all one big crap shoot thanks to slavery and indentured servitude (I have Chinese, Indian, and Eastern European ancestors without a doubt). My last name is from a region in upper England/Scotland.

• Members

I'm German, my ancestors - the family of my paternal grandmother - are from Prussia which belongs to Poland today. My family name was very popular in several Slavic countries in the 18th century (for example in Hungary or the Czech Republic but also in Austria).

• Members

Girl, you and I could almost be family. LOL My immdiate family is from Jamaica, also with a mix of African, Chinese and Indian, with some Welsh and English thrown in. Years ago some of my cousins in England started researching our ancestors. My family is like the UN :D

• Members

My mother's side of the family hails from the Isle of Man.(Manx cats anyone?) I love that place. Old, full of folklore and old ledgends. They even have an old witch/wicca museum. My dad's family comes from Mexico. I'm pretty sure I'm the fourth or fifth generation here in America, on that side. We've got distant relatives that still live like ancient Mayans. Both sides have a mix of Native American as well.(but who doesn't?...I mean, they were here first, LoL)

Archived