Ugly Betty: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

I disagree, Josh. I think America WANTS to see Betty to succeed. I mean, what more do you want from the poor thing? she's already POOR and when she was born, she was slapped with the UGLY stick about six times. Her father's a murderer, he's going to be deported...what the heck?! Just WHAT the HECK more can this girl take?!!! I just can't take it. She DESERVES to be happy. People want to see Betty live the American DREAM. They don't want to see her suffer! I won't buy it.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think so, too. Either it will fall through or it will be brief and she'll go back to Mode. I think that Betty is succeeding either way, she's more than held her own (and Daniel's) at Mode. I think one of the throughlines of the show is Betty succeeding in spite of the people around her who are making it difficult. It would change that whole dynamic if she went to an environment that was less "snooty".

I'm just a little confused by how quickly some things have turned around in the span of a handful of episodes, the kinds of things you think would have been milked a little longer...the Gina/Hilda animosity, the immigration thing, Daniel's womanizing, Amanda's feelings for him, etc. Maybe all that stuff will get turned on its ear. Maybe Sofia will break Daniel's heart, something else will reignite Gina/Hilda, etc.

One piece of good news..according to Chris Gorham's website, he's joined the cast. So I think Betty and Henry have only just begun! :lol:

• Members

I love the show but they're doing some weird stuff:

-Salma comes out of the tv telenovela and that role gets played by someone else.

-The three-week passage of time from the Thanksgiving show to the Christmas-themed one the next week felt awkward, especially within the immigration and Daniel/Sofia stories.

-If RR is supposed to be Fey, isn't she like Daniel's age and didn't the affair with poppa start when Daniel was a kid? :blink:

-Plot and character development has moved very fast for a first half season.

I was rewatching "Fake Plastic Snow" and I noticed the continuity was really off during some of the party scenes, especially three shots in a row. First shot starts with the scene of Amanda yanking her hand out of the ice bucket behind the desk. Next shot she's on the floor back-to-back dancing with a woman as Henry bumps into another woman. While he is still saying I'm sorry, you see Amanda next to Betty...the woman Henry bumped into is still dancing but Henry is not in sight and the music hasn't skipped a beat. :blink:

Loved the episode but some things just felt awkward.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
After watching the Marathon, I am starting to think "the masked woman" that RR is going to play isn't Fey. Maybe the masked Woman is a friend of Will's helping her takeover. Or one of Bradford's ex mistresses, He told Daniel he had had several besides Fey. She killed Fey and is framing Daniel's Mom to get them both out of the way, in order, to have Bradford and the Magazine. Or is that too Soapy?

Archived