Ugly Betty: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

Another good episode. I love Hilda when she gets an attitude - plus she has great one-liners like "This looks like the gay version of Star Trek!"

I thought Salma Hayek was good - she was one tough cookie. I wonder if we'll see her again.

I always love those over-the-top telenova scenes.

Next week looks even better though - all about Betty - and her falling over in that circle chair thing! HAHA

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I liked the episode but, sorry guys, I was OUTRAGED to see Salma Hayek in her role on last night's show? Um, she plays the actress in the telenovelas. They're can NOT be an identical woman at Mode and it not be the actress on the telenovelas. And what, even if that actress does have a "twin" in this crazy world, one of the people at MODE would NOT say, "Ohmigosh, aren't you...?!!!" Indeed.

I-AM-LIVID!!!!

• Members

I loved Salma in thursday's episode. She gave the man-whore a run for his money. He thinks he can charm any woman into bed with him and this time it didn't happen.

As the show progresses, I'm starting to like Amanda more and more. She is not just the [!@#$%^&*]y girl with a great taste for fashion but a woman who has put herself in a situation to be hurt by a guy that she truly has feelings for. She wants more from him and all he wants is his monday regular. I feel for her.

I like how they are making the characters complex and not just focusing on just one character, but all. Great use of balance.

• Members

Geez, who cares? Its not that big of a deal, in fact its nothing. Making a mountain out of a mole hill, no scratch that, an ant hill. It wouldn't be the first time something like this has happened. Life is too short to making something out of nothing, unless controversy and attention is craved.

• Members

I don't think you all are seeing why this is so controversial to me. Television and film are all about presenting an "illusion" of another world, such that you can suspend disbelief for the moment. You NEVER break that "fourth" wall and let your viewers know, "Hey, this is a TV show." Breaking the fourth wall, doing things that recall that it's all an illusion, well, that ruins the whole show or movie, because how can you be moved by something if you have no "connection" to it and realize it's all fake? I hope you all understand where I'm coming from now. For me, this isn't blowing things out of proportion. As a loyal viewer, I was ripped off--and now, I'm ticked off.

• Members

I didn't like Salma being in such an upfront role but it could of been worse. They could of made her character the Co-editor in Chief of Mode instead of an entirely different magazine. Besides Sweeps is coming up so putting her front and center just seems like they are setting up their sweeps storylines.

• Members

What in the world is so controversial about Selma Hayek being on Ugly Betty? First of all, she made it known that she would be in episodes of the show; not just in a mock telenovela that the family is watching. I caught that information when I watched Oprah when they introduced America Ferrara.

I like the show, regardless if Selma is on it or not....the main focus is still on Betty and what she's going through.

I understand that you are entitled to your views, however, sometimes when reading your comments, I find that the situation isn't all that big of a deal :)

• Members

To be fair, Sweet, I mentioned the "big deal." Thursday's occurrence truly went against one of television and cinema's biggest rules. The illusion was broken. There's really no way to justify it. I don't care if Salma said it would happen on Oprah. The whole point here, is she should know better.

Archived