Ugly Betty: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

My favorite character: The obviously gay tween nephew! :lol:

Betty: How do you know what the book is?

Nephew: Please, I've seen Prada like seven times.

The show is a perfect blend of camp, heart, emotion and frivolous fun.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Toups, I'm wondering that very thing about Justin. And I'm sure it's not just you and me. One has to admit that for someone the actor's age, it is a VERY unusual role to play. I was shocked by the first episode. It was just something I'd never seen before.

I'm watching my tape now (back to episode discussion).

My heart is just BLEEDING with compassion for Betty. Wilehmina could not possibly be more evil. The way she completely trashed Betty's new look in an indirect way. I felt so sorry for my Betty!!!! Right when she was feeling like a Cinderella, too. :(:(

• Members

I liked this episode alot too - I officially love this show now and it will be a season regular for me.

I love how Daniel always sticks up for Betty - I'm glad someone else has her back and not just her family.

Yeah - is the character playing Justin just acting or is he really just that gay? I want to know.

• Members

I don't know about other versions, but in this one, I think it's deliberate- the CHARACTER of Justin is gay.

Has to be.

Look at the dialogue. What teenaged boy has seen 'The Devil Wears Prada' - Nine times.

When Betty got the job, WHO brought her issues of Mode magazine -a pile of them - Justin....what teenaged boy has a stack of Mode Magazines.

Come on.

He knows as much about fashion as anyone working at Mode - that's deliberate.

The boy is going to grow up to be the Stanley Tucci role in 'The Devil Wears Prada'.

I don't see any ambiguity about Justin - he's gayer than Gay Gayerson. ....has to be a deliberate choice by the Producers.

• Members

SIP, I think it's obvious that Justin (the character) is meant to be gay. I'd be shocked if anyone DIDN'T know that. (As you pointed out, the dialogue and his demeanor portray him as incredibly gay). No, the real question is whether the portrayer is gay. I think that's on a lot of people's mind because it's very rare that you see someone so young playing SUCH a deep-seated gay character. It's weird. It's weird.

• Members

Oh, dear god! What is wrong with this celeb insane world when we are now trying to out a 10-12 year old actor on a tv show. Yall are clearly not being satisfied at home if the possible sex life of a minor is now of interest to you ...

• Members

Justin is fabulous and I think it's great for younger gay people to see a representation of themselves. I also love that the family seems supportive of him. The family scenes have surprised me as they're so warm and a perfect contrast to the high camp of the Mode stuff.

The entire cast is fabulous and I hope the award shows recongnize. I'd love to see the original series, but since I don't speak Spanish, that would be difficult. If they released it on DVD with subtitles, I'd buy it.

Archived