Ugly Betty: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

I didn't like the finale. It was rushed. Horta knew this was likely to be the final season weeks ago so there was no reason not to resolve some of the easier stories like Amanda and her father and Marc and Troy. He packed too much in this episode. I was glad Wili got Mode and will get Conner eventually.

I wanted Daniel and Betty as a couple, but I could have done without that the final London scene. Horta didn't want to do it so he should not have bothered. It was one of those backhanded "interpret as you want" scenes that I hate.

Horta's poor storytelling in the second and third season cost Ugly Betty a fifth season. It was the only network prime time drama with an ethnic minority as the lead actor and with a constant presence of minorities. We will never see a show like Ugly Betty for a long time.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wasn't clear. It is my opinion that Horta didn't want to do Daniel and Betty in a romantic way. I was trying to say that since it wasn't what Horta wanted that he should not have bothered with their final scene in London which left their relationship up in the air. I wanted a commitment to them either way, not uncertainty about Betty's feelings about Daniel.

• Members

Well he addresses that here:

I think he did the right thing by leaving it as a possibility that they could be together. It would've felt too rushed if they each declared their love for one another. I think that's the next chapter in the Ugly Betty saga: could Betty and Daniel truly be a couple?

• Members

The whole overtone of the finale was Daniel and Betty are in love and going to get together. I would have preferred they left that out and just ending with Daniel showing up in London because he can't be without his best friend. Going from 4 seasons of no attraction to a sudden one just ruined what should have been a beautiful finale.

I know quite a few people who quit watching because of Betty's forced ugliness, braces for 3 years too many, etc. They should have worked on developing subtle improvements in Betty and had a subtle attraction grow between Daniel and Betty just never have it come to fruition.

• 10 months later...
  • Members

I finally got up to watching the final season. I almost forgot how hilarious Amanda is and how intriguing Wilhelmina can be.

And on a totally shallow note, wow, Eric Mabius stopped working on his body. Weird.

Archived