Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soap Opera Network Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Weekdays at 12:30 p.m. ET/11:30 a.m. PT on CBS.
Stream Live and On Demand on Paramount+

Y&R: Jamey Giddens & Dan O'Connor named co-head writers

Featured Replies

  • Member

They've got a huge task ahead of them. Years of poor stories and character destruction.

So it will be fascinating to see their first moves and then the flow on in the first months.

Will they cut some characters immediately or keep the stories going while they get into the groove?

Eg Will Matt be punished/ killed off or will he stay on as the new and improved Josh character?

Will the company stuff continue in some way?

Who will be their first new character and first returning charcter?

Of course there will be robust conversations as we all offer our takes...

  • Replies 383
  • Views 58k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • To be quite honest, I am both mortified and oddly happy for Jamey and the show at the same time. IIRC Jamey is devoted to Y&R and I believe he has been since he was very young. I heard him complai

  • titan1978
    titan1978

    Excited or not about this news, I think we should all enjoy this moment. Daytime has had ratings wins this year. BTG is solid and got a two year renewal and a great showing with Emmy noms. Y&R has

  • AbcNbc247
    AbcNbc247

    A little reminder of Jamey Giddens at his best Good luck, Y&R fans. Be prepared for constant stupid jokes, constant campy bitchfights, for everybody to become fans of Carl Ivati and for Nikki and

Posted Images

  • Member

Just for reference, here's who's available for returns in terms of connections to current characters

Abbotts

Allie, Jacks grandaughter

Theo, Abbott relative

Tara, Dominics birth mother

Jennifer, Billy's cousin

Newmans

Matt, Victor's brother

Casey, Nikki's sister

Summer,Nicks daughter

Reed, Victoria's son

Dylan, Nikki's son

Christian, Johnny, Katie, Connor Newman grandchildren who could be aged up

Winters group

Charlie, Cane/Lily son

Mattie,Cane/Lily daughter

Olivia, Nate's mother

Ana, Devon's sister

Yolanda, Devon's mother

Tucker, Devon's father

Baldwin/Fenmores

Eden,Michael's sister

Scott, Lauren's son

Fen, Lauren's son

Gloria, Michael's mother

Kevin, Michaels brother

Chloe, Michael's sister in law

and

Avery, Phyllis' sister

Doris, Sharon's mother

I'm probably forgetting others but it gives Jamie/Dan plenty of options.

  • Member
  • Administrator

I'm excited for this pairing, but Natalie Minardi Slater was right there! They could've easily paired her with one of them.

  • Member
4 minutes ago, BetterForgotten said:

Oh he has an account. Well...

  • Member
14 minutes ago, Paul Raven said:

Just for reference, here's who's available for returns in terms of connections to current characters

Abbotts

Allie, Jacks grandaughter

Theo, Abbott relative

Newmans

Dylan, Nikki's son

Baldwin/Fenmores

Scott, Lauren's son

Fen, Lauren's son

Gloria, Michael's mother

and

Avery, Phyllis' sister

Along with Leanna Love, Summer, and aging Christian as I have previously said, I'd be open to any of the above.

I wish Y&R would pull a Days move of bringing back actors to play a different role on the show and have Gina Tognoni come onboard as Avery. She could be paired up with JT's Billy again and take Sally's place. Then mix it up with Nick, Phyllis, Sharon.

Otherwise, the show desperately needs new faces/talent. Having the same actors/characters for decades has made the show stale.

  • Member
44 minutes ago, Paul Raven said:

Just for reference, here's who's available for returns in terms of connections to current characters

Abbotts

Allie, Jacks grandaughter

Theo, Abbott relative

Tara, Dominic's birth mother

Jennifer, Billy's cousin

Dominic's mother is Abby.
I think you meant Tara, Harrison's birth mother. Good point, she could get out of jail.

Interesting that you mentioned Jennifer, I had to look that character up, didn't know about her (I don't know much Brooks family history). Fascinating that Jennifer is Billy's cousin on the Foster side and Theo's cousin on the Brooks side.

51 minutes ago, Paul Raven said:

Winters group

Charlie, Cane/Lily son

Mattie,Cane/Lily daughter

Olivia, Nate's mother

Ana, Devon's sister

Yolanda, Devon's mother

Tucker, Devon's father

Also Moses, Neil's son.
and Sam, Cane's son by Juliet.

Edited by janea4old

  • Member
36 minutes ago, Melroser said:

I wish Y&R would pull a Days move of bringing back actors to play a different role on the show and have Gina Tognoni come onboard as Avery. She could be paired up with JT's Billy again and take Sally's place. Then mix it up with Nick, Phyllis, Sharon.

I strongly dislike it when Days and GH bring back actors to play a different role on the same show. I find that it takes me out of the moment when watching and it doesn't go away with time.
That being said, Gina's Phyllis is one of my all-time favorites. I do want Gina back on air. That clip of her testifying at Victor's trial (posted upthread) is so vivid in my mind, she's just Phyllis to me.

Edited by janea4old

  • Member
2 hours ago, Toups said:

I'm excited for this pairing, but Natalie Minardi Slater was right there! They could've easily paired her with one of them.

I pointed that out, too 🤷‍♂️

And concluded that TPTB probably want something or a style that they think Giddens and O’Connor are more likely to bring.

I’ve seen hope from some that Giddens can perform a literary ‘code switch’ but perhaps the combination of his back catalogue is the point.

Perhaps the camp and high drama (bordering on melodrama) is what the suits want, and add a dash of GH-style high stakes and stunts, and Bob’s your uncle!

I can lightly theorise, but having stopped watching a few years ago, part of me feels I don’t have the right to make wishes or demands of the show’s identity from Sweeps onwards (that’s my prediction as to when their names will appear on screen, so they can start within something big, a stunt or revelation)

Edited by LondonScribe

  • Member
3 hours ago, Toups said:

I'm excited for this pairing, but Natalie Minardi Slater was right there! They could've easily paired her with one of them.

With Dan O'Connor.

  • Member

@janea4old Thanks for the corrections and updates.

There is a wealth of potential in those characters, along with some brand spanking new characters.

Obviously they can't all return, nor should they, but I wouldn't be averse to some short term visits and mini stories for some of them.

The only hope for the vet characters is to interact with new people and be involved in their dramas.

Also, something like an announcement of Brock's passing and a memorial service with some returns and flashbacks would be nice.

Or use Julia's death to bring on her daughter Jamie, who could work at Jabot. Possible match for Nick, Adam or Billy.

  • Member

You suggested perhaps a memorial for Brock. Reed has siblings Dylan and Becca, children of Mac and JT. Kelly Kruger just started on GH today. They could recast Mac for Brock's memorial, oe just bring her kids to town with Reed.

Edited by janea4old

  • Member
11 hours ago, janea4old said:

I strongly dislike it when Days and GH bring back actors to play a different role on the same show. I find that it takes me out of the moment when watching and it doesn't go away with time.
That being said, Gina's Phyllis is one of my all-time favorites. I do want Gina back on air. That clip of her testifying at Victor's trial (posted upthread) is so vivid in my mind, she's just Phyllis to me.

Strongly co-sign on this. I love Tamara Braun since her Carly days, but having her appear on three different soaps as multiple characters within 5 years of the prior iteration was really weird and off-putting. Not to mention, the writing often didn't round out the character. It's like the writer came up with a soapy name (Ava Vitali, Reese, Kim Nero) and stopped there.

I wish Gina Tognoni could play Victoria, but that would probably take the entire viewership out.

  • Member

Since it was pointed out, I can't help but think that given the long history of soaps in general, there has never been a black male HW.

And I do love that soon current soaps will have two black HWs.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 2

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.