Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soap Opera Network Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Weekdays at 12:30 p.m. ET/11:30 a.m. PT on CBS.
Stream Live and On Demand on Paramount+

Y&R: Jamey Giddens & Dan O'Connor named co-head writers

Featured Replies

  • Member
13 hours ago, Paul Raven said:

I'm wondering what restrictions Jamey and Dan will be working under and what changes they can make.

The budget is unlikely to increase.

Will this mean?

-They are restricted in daily set use and will have to use the meeting places -GCAC, Society, Crimson Lights on a daily basis

-Only a certain number of actors can be used in each episode, which in combination with the set situation puts action pretty much at a standstill.

-Actors can not be used beyond guarantees, so those on a 1 a week cannot be seen more than an average of 4 times a month and if used more then have to be offscreen for a while to compensate

- Day players, under 5's and extras again must be at a minimum.

-Emphasis must be on long running characters who have been frontburner for years-Victor, Nikki, Jack, Victoria, Phyllis, Kyle, Sharon

If that's what they face I really can't see room for much improvement ... hopefully the stories will be better but the execution will still be lacking.

If these restrictions must stay in place, it is still possible to make the show more compelling. Maybe not Bill Bell quality, but still compelling. However, it is going to take strong leadership from the executive producer to help the writers bring their vision (or at least a version or their vision) to reality. In other words, the executive producer will need strong problem-solving skills. Plus the executive producer and the head writers will need to support each other and work as a team. There are many good storylines that can be brought to life without a huge budget and without dozens of new sets. The new powers that be at Y&R need to be good at thinking outside the box. I wish them luck and good fortune, and I'm looking forward optimistically.

  • Replies 383
  • Views 58k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • To be quite honest, I am both mortified and oddly happy for Jamey and the show at the same time. IIRC Jamey is devoted to Y&R and I believe he has been since he was very young. I heard him complai

  • titan1978
    titan1978

    Excited or not about this news, I think we should all enjoy this moment. Daytime has had ratings wins this year. BTG is solid and got a two year renewal and a great showing with Emmy noms. Y&R has

  • AbcNbc247
    AbcNbc247

    A little reminder of Jamey Giddens at his best Good luck, Y&R fans. Be prepared for constant stupid jokes, constant campy bitchfights, for everybody to become fans of Carl Ivati and for Nikki and

Posted Images

  • Member
59 minutes ago, Tisy-Lish said:

If these restrictions must stay in place, it is still possible to make the show more compelling. Maybe not Bill Bell quality, but still compelling. However, it is going to take strong leadership from the executive producer to help the writers bring their vision (or at least a version or their vision) to reality. In other words,the executive producer will need strong problem-solving skills. Plus the executive producer and the head writers will need to support each other and work as a team. There are many good storylines that can be brought to life without a huge budget and without dozens of new sets. The new powers that be at Y&R need to be good at thinking outside the box. I wish them luck and good fortune, and I'm looking forward optimistically.

I mean just about anything would be an improvement from scene after scene of people sitting in a cafe/restaurant plotting to take over some company we don't care about!

  • Member
1 hour ago, 1974mdp said:

I mean just about anything would be an improvement from scene after scene of people sitting in a cafe/restaurant plotting to take over some company we don't care about!

Absolutely correct.

  • Member
16 hours ago, Paul Raven said:

I'm wondering what restrictions Jamey and Dan will be working under and what changes they can make.

The budget is unlikely to increase.

Will this mean?

-They are restricted in daily set use and will have to use the meeting places -GCAC, Society, Crimson Lights on a daily basis

-Only a certain number of actors can be used in each episode, which in combination with the set situation puts action pretty much at a standstill.

-Actors can not be used beyond guarantees, so those on a 1 a week cannot be seen more than an average of 4 times a month and if used more then have to be offscreen for a while to compensate

- Day players, under 5's and extras again must be at a minimum.

-Emphasis must be on long running characters who have been frontburner for years-Victor, Nikki, Jack, Victoria, Phyllis, Kyle, Sharon

If that's what they face I really can't see room for much improvement ... hopefully the stories will be better but the execution will still be lacking.

It's for this post that I hope that Jamey and Dan prove that it's possible to write a good show and have all of those restrictions in place. I've said it in the past about other things and we could use a recent example of it being done. So they can be it!

They can also prove that Josh was just burned out if it turns out those restrictions were not really restricting after all.

  • Member
  • Member

Christine/Danny 'fun stuff' is not what Y&R needs at this point.

  • Member

Jason Thompson also posted something about exciting stories coming for Billy in a video on X. I’ll let the people who actually know how to post videos on here share that though so I don’t know how, lmao.

  • Member
9 hours ago, Ryanc2 said:

Jason Thompson also posted something about exciting stories coming for Billy in a video on X. I’ll let the people who actually know how to post videos on here share that though so I don’t know how, lmao.

found it on his instagram
https://www.instagram.com/p/DczqY4ep3mO/

  • Member
1 hour ago, janea4old said:

And truth be told, I don’t love Billy. He hasn’t seemed enthusiastic about his storylines in years though so maybe this is a good sign?

So far what’s confirmed is that Danny & Christine have stuff coming up, and Billy. I am sure we will learn more about the new material as this month goes on. I really hope they are balancing these stories out with stories for younger characters too.

  • Member

8 hours ago, titan1978 said:

A thought I keep coming back to is that people often talk about Bill Bell through rose colored lenses. He knew when the show needed a jolt, and was not above doing something trashy at times, or outlandish. If they can reinvigorate the stories with something even slightly fresh, and reinvest in characterization, this will be worth watching again!

As far as the budget constraints, daytime shows used to film with two wall sets and the actors wore their own clothes, and had a much larger audience than they do now. But they told stories back then, so let’s try that again!

The David Kimball story alone had outlandish and trashy moments... and Brad held prisoner in a cage/jail cell by his unbalanced ex wife Lisa was another memorable moment. And Marge... anyone?

Bill Bell did know how to tell a story, and he managed to balance those outlandish moments with non outlandish moments.

With that said, back in the day a lot was made about his preoccupation with blondes and how all the blondes looked like one another. Eileen Davidson, I remember, dyed her hair an auburn brown randomly for a time and Tracey Bregman ended going a darker red/brown because her hair ended up overly processed.

With that said, time will tell if these newest head writers can make a go of it. If Sony still has final say, things might only improve slightly.

Edited by Soaplovers

  • Member

Those are three characters I don’t care to see if I’m being honest but I’m going to give the new writers a chance.

  • Administrator

How far does Y&R tape ahead? I don't think they're taping the new writers' material right now.

  • Member
1 minute ago, Toups said:

How far does Y&R tape ahead? I don't think they're taping the new writers' material right now.

About 4-5 weeks I think. Tricia Cast posted from the set for her one day appearance and that episode aired about 4 weeks later.

Maybe the new writers are tweaking a few things eg deciding that Stephanie won't continue even if Josh had other plans.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 2

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.