GH: April 2024 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I miss Reginald too.

The way Olivia explained the job to Sasha made it sound much easier than I imagine it will be.  It still makes no sense for Olivia to ask Sasha when she works at a hotel that has a five star restaurant, kitchen, and room service workers.  One of those chefs/cooks would probably much more suited for the job.  Whatever.   I am really overthinking Sasha's career path.

It would be interesting to see where the show is going with Sonny.  It's almost comical how everyone turned on him in about a month.  In some ways it reminds of the 90's where most people in town thought Sonny was bad news and acknowledged he was a criminal.

• Members

Well, what I think is that Patrick is gonna let Mo continue to be a mobster but he's no longer going to be considered an upstanding citizen. They set him up as this kinda Mobster with a Heart of Gold, to borrow from the Lady of the Night trope, back when Stone & Robin were in love & he cared for & nurtured Stone & Robin & that was a long time ago. 

Meanwhile I am considering whether I want to ship Chrome (Corinthos + Jerome) and also if I want to ship Drina (Drew + Nina). Perversely I am thinking of adding both. 

• Members

4-24

Well that was a letdown.  lol. But seriously, that's the second time that the writers (since they started) ended an episode on a good dramatic note, and then the next episode does not immediately pick up from there. It makes me think of when Mal Young was on Y&R with his 'one episode = one day' thing. 

Oh so this is the Dex story people keep talking about! I admit that I was meh on playing every beat of him joining the police. I don't even think it's that bad though I don't care about him. But it never occurred to me that the police officers might not like him due to his association with Sonny. I like the 'actions has consequences' of it all so I might not mind that story at all. 

OOooooo Blaze's style is rubbing on on Kristina. How cute!!! I did like the bachelorette party for the most part. But of course it gave us fun Lois and Tracy moments. And of course it also gave us that lovely Joss v Kristina moment. I am so happy that continues to grow legs.

I was actually sadden to see the end of Ava and Nina. When I came back to regularly viewing GH, I was in shock to see them as friends since I was watching when MS arrived as Nina. I knew their vicious history. And now....they were FRIENDS??? But clips later and watching MW and CW with each other...I liked it. Even though yes, it was totally implausible. That said...those were some good scenes.  

So happy to see Ned. I was literally wondering when the last time we saw him was before he popped up at Chase's bachelor party. And oh, look, Spinelli!!

I totally can see Lois at Deception and having that knowledge. Them NY gals...lol.  

Awwwwwwwwwwww

Same.

Which is what they appear to be doing. Or...setting up their exits. 

• Members

The Jon and Cady statement is too much.

Yeah, I'm sorry they couldn't make it work, but these break-up announcements can be too much. Writing "As people who work in the public eye, it can be difficult to have a private life" is too much for me.

I'm sorry, but we're not talking Taylor and Travis here. I highly doubt that they were mobbed when out in public. And ending by asking for "your kind consideration in this matter"? What does that even mean?

I don't think they owe us any explanation, any details. I just wish these announcements weren't so ridiculous.

• Members
Posted (edited)

It's kind of amusing to me because some of the tweets amount to - these women could be models or running magazines or running art galleries and look at what they're doing instead, they're taking women back to the '50s. All of those careers are also very dated for women, if that's the complaint. That's a genre wide concern and not down to the new/old writers.

I wish people could just say "They don't know what to do with Sasha, she's a flop," instead of trying to spin the choices as misogyny.

Edited by DRW50

• Members
Posted (edited)

Yeah, I think the reality is that they don't know what to do with Sasha and are playing the string with some characters out. I would just write her out immediately, but that's me. And I don't think they're going to reduce Trina to a nanny (she appears to be keeping the job with Ava, and it's inevitable she'll go back to school) but I do like them making the connection with Ace. I remember people howling about her not spending enough time with him, Laura, etc. after the first several weeks following Spencer's death. It's six of one and half a dozen of another.

But really, fanbases aside I don't pay much attention to Soap Twitter period except for the recent hubbub with the creative turnover. What's clear at a glance is there's been a vacuum since DC's heyday (and Jamey's apparent departure - he was always a histrionic, dominant and OTT personality) of people in that sphere all trying to be tastemakers and sound very influential and important on there, and the truth is I have no idea who almost any of them are and I don't care. They all seem really quick to attach themselves to very mediocre couples, actors and stories in the last decade - online used to be a bit better than that IMO - but I guess that's to be expected if your livelihood or sense of self depends on a genre that's been in the doghouse for years (hopefully not for too much longer). Everybody seems to be the one to make a grand pronouncement about The State of GH a month into the writing change, and that's not realistic at this point IMO. I do think it's much improved; I do think it needs to cut and change faster. The question is if they have freedom to do that. And no, I don't think Chris Van Etten is puppetmastering the show from BTS lol. But knowing FV it wouldn't shock me if he tried to keep a pet writer in there for some machinations, because I absolutely do not believe PM was his choice.

Anyway we'll see soon enough.

Edited by Vee

• Members
Posted (edited)

Maurice was posting on TwiX today. In reply to someone wondering (& worried) if this is an exit for him, ... 

About Sasha, misogyny, no, not over this. I simply do not understand why they didn't make her Nina's new assistant at Crimson. She is one who actually likes Nina, who is very short on both friends & friendly acquaintances. It looked obvious to me, a gimme. 

Edited by Contessa Donatella
more info

• Members

I never even thought of Sasha becoming the Q's chef as misogyny lol.   I just thought she didn't have the experience to do the job, but I am not sure she ever had experience to be a model either, so?  I don't ever go on soap twitter though.

I like Sasha more than most on here.  I just think the character has run it's course.  If she ever had a purpose to begin with.  She's not in a romance, she's not part of any family, until yesterday she had no job, she basically just has some friends in town.  It's the perfect time to let her go.  The show *might* want to finish out the Cody story with her, but since nothing has really progressed it would be a great time for Sasha to start over in a new place like she was going to post-Gladys months ago.  She gets a lot of airtime for a character without any real story.

• Members

If none of these characters start really dropping in the next six months - Finn, Sasha, Jordan, etc. - then it's about either FV's power base and keeping things static, or some other weird shît. But I think they will.

I just want a man and a story for Lois, and Trina.

• Members

Don’t ask some something you’ll never get with a statement like that!

Please register in order to view this content

I think the show has struggled with building couples and relationships. So many chem-less or boring pairings still on the canvas. 

I also don’t think FV has ever known how to produce romantic or passionate scenes. Not like Wendy Riche and Shelley Curtis did back in the 90’s. I liked when Curtis talked about that a bit in her State of Mind interview with Maurice, because it’s so true. 

Hell, even when Sonny and Brenda were breaking up back in the day, the atmosphere, music, dialogue, and the way the scenes were produced had so much passion and grit, you could still feel something even if you weren’t a fan.

You won’t get scenes produced this way in FV’s sterile production method. 

• Members
Posted (edited)

No. They need to stop foisting recurring and bit players off on important characters. I like Martin in small doses but it would just be another excuse for Frank to put two ABC stars together and expect everyone to fangurl out.

This is a larger longtime issue with this regime: I don't give a fúck about Yuri who is just the successor to Milo for FV in terms of hot random guys they keep giving jobs and then pretend are suddenly fan favorites. And the new cop instructor is hot but do I consider using him the same as actually finding out a story and character tailored to Lois and (gasp) hiring someone new? No. It's just Frank rifling through the bin of random characters, slapping them together and calling it a pairing or story. I don't care. This started with Laura and Kevin, BTW - Genie insisted on a new man, so Frank just tossed Jon Lindstrom her way because he's on recurring, cheap and well-liked. Now here we are. Hire new people, test for chemistry and stop cheaping out. No, I don't care if it's an ex-soap star. I am not going to get excited seeing "Lois and Tad" together.

Edited by Vee