GH: April 2024 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Posted (edited)

The tweet works for me if I
remove "mediaviewer etc etc etc " from the end of its URL.
https://twitter.com/ariana_puzzo/status/1784344601827905803
And I'm not logged into twitter, but that's just one of the tweets.   
There's several audio tweets.
If you have the URLs of each individual tweet, each one can be clicked on separately without logging into twitter.

Edited by janea4old

• Members
Posted (edited)

Thanks everyone! I'll keep trying. I am able to hear Taby but not CW. 

Hooray! FINALLY. Got it. Had to use Jane's idea & drop "mediaviewer" & then it worked like a charm. I knew she & Maura went to the same conservatory at overlapping times. Loved hearing her interp of the scenes. Also liked the caption to a pic about her mom telling CW that last fall Taby & NAC had said they wanted to work with her & CW was, "Really?!!" And, Taby pipes up with, "Yes, really!" 

Edited by Contessa Donatella
hooray

• Members

The discussion of the gender dynamics around Sasha's career change are interesting (more interesting than the character herself from what I've seen so far).  I admittedly did not consider that when I watched those scenes, but this professional pivot sure is problematic for plenty of other reasons.  At its worst, I don't recall Downton Abbey ever suggesting that any of the servants chose their professions over more lucrative options because it brought them personal fulfillment.  (It was more the upward mobility than many of them had, with full support from the family, that became increasingly ludicrous.)  Presumably modeling pays more than being a servant?

And at the risk of minimizing the unpaid labor that women across all social strata often end up taking on, it does seem like Olivia would have more options than most, and certainly more options than hiring Sasha as the new cook.  Couldn't Olivia just bring home takeout from the hotel restaurant (especially now that Carly is back at the Metro Court, and presumably will single-handedly solve all the room service issues)?

Speaking of Olivia, I've read through the discussion about her similarities to Lois and whether or not to keep Olivia around, but I'm still not clear on whether Olivia and/or Ned/Olivia have fans in their own right.  I have only been watching again for < 2 months after decades, so if it ain't broke and all—I really have nothing against the actress, and no opinion on them as a couple—but it does look really bad from where I'm sitting that Ned is married to somewhat so much like Lois.

In any event, I would welcome a new character as a love interest for Lois.  Although I feel guilty wishing for that when the cast is so overrun and I'm happy to see Lois on GH after all this time, even in a supporting capacity.

• Members

I can only speak for myself and what I have seen around, but I think it Olivia is moderately popular.  I haven't found too many people that hate her, but I haven't found too many people that love her either.  LLC is a likable performer, but I do think it's a shame that the character was just built as Lois-lite.

Similar to Laura/Kevin I think Olivia/Ned are just tolerated by most as a couple.  They don't really bother anyone, but they certainly aren't setting the world on fire or very polarizing.   They work well together and work in their capacity on the show fine.  They are just a nice supporting couple.  

While I think the vast majority of the audience would prefer Ned/Lois, Rena/Wally have stated they don't want to do it.  So that means they have to find someone else for Lois.

• Members
Posted (edited)

Rena has always been a very charismatic presence, but one of my issues with Lois is that so much of the presentation could border on caricature. The loud lady from Bensonhurst who stood up to the amoral Qs, and so on. My general apathy-bordering-on-antipathy toward Ned probably didn't help. I actually prefer Rena Sofer in her Loving role, even though it wasn't the one that brought her fame, because I think her earnestness shines through.

She did have her moments as Lois, when she was allowed. 

I wonder what might have been with Jax and Lois if Rena hadn't left. (wasn't he originally brought in for Lois)

Lisa also plays Olivia as a caricature, because that's what Olivia has always been, but I think she fits the more hollowed out Ned of recent years, and she is a bit flatter in day-to-day moments than Lois, which separates the two.

I do appreciate the energy Rena has had in her return, from what I've seen of it, as I think the show needs it. 

I don't have any real investment in Brooklyn and never have (also never really gotten the Amanda Setton hype in any of her work, but she's OK). Still, at least she's alive, unlike most of the other Qs, and she and Chase seem harmless enough.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

That is accurate, as a potential spoiler between Ned and Lois. Ned covering up Jason’s accident was going to play a part in friction between Lois and Ned.

This entire argument is what I think is wrong with Frank’s GH. Ned, Lois, and Olivia are all recurring. They need to focus story on their contract cast, or up these people to contract if they are going to be corners of the show!

• Members
Posted (edited)

I think Ned and Olivia do fine as a cornerstone of the show on recurring - they appear plenty, or did until this year but that's a recent lull. I think Rena needs a contract unless she doesn't want one. Lois being much more loving and indulgent re: Tracy and the Qs has also shone through in this run, and is a nice change.

I don't think Olivia was always a caricature, but she certainly has been broader since FV/RC came in. That was fine with me because I think Lisa sells it all, can often be fun to watch and is very sweet with Wally, but I don't need more from either of them at this point. Still, Olivia and Lois' backstory are almost totally identical and they are best friends from Bensonhurst so I would like to see them discuss the Ned issue more openly, something that has barely been done since RC first put them together.

I don't think Sasha's career change is problematic - there are lots of pro chefs who transitioned from other 'bigger' careers. I think keeping Sasha around is problematic.

Edited by Vee