Bill Bell Jr. and Maria Arena Bell sell Malibu mansion to Jay-Z and Beyonce

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

There's a lot of chatter that the house is ugly, but I think it is stunning.  I guess it depends on the angle

Beyonce Jay-Z House Malibu California

Beyonce Jay-Z House Malibu California

Also, there's been some discussion that part of the price includes the art, in which case it's a bargain

Meanwhile, Colleen and Bradley's home is also not too shabby.

Bradley and Colleen Bell's house in Los Angeles, CA (Google ...

And by the looks of their 11 million dollar NYC co-op (all cash), Bradley definitely has a more maximalist style than than his brother

Photos of Colleen and Bradley Bell's co-op at 2 East 70th Street

Edited by j swift

• Members

A story from W with more details. Does anyone else remember Sabrina taking Victor to those Jeff Koons exhibits back in 2008? Haha.

https://www.wmagazine.com/life/beyonce-jay-z-malibu-california-house-tadao-ando

Beyoncé’s new home was originally commissioned by modern art power-collectors Bill and Maria Bell (Bill is the son of the creators of The Young and the Restless and The Bold and the Beautiful). It took 15 years to complete, and its construction required 7,645 cubic yards of concrete just for the home alone (that doesn’t even include the driveway). The couple also once lent the home out to artist Alex Israel for a post-apocalyptic photoshoot starring a chimpanzee named Eli.

The home was specifically designed to double as a showcase for the Bells’ impressive art collection. Bey and Jay may have been attracted to it for similar reasons. The family’s private art collection is said to include works by masters like Damien Hirst, Andy Warhol, Richard Prince, David Hammons, and Jean-Michel Basquiat alongside younger, up-and-coming artists (incidentally, the Bells, too, own more than a few Warhols and Hirsts, but are also amongst the biggest collectors of works by Jeff Koons).

• Members

Malibu is famously restrictive about issuing permits for filming on private property, due to lack of parking and risk of disrupting the privacy of neighbors. In 2019, Malibu only allowed 19 permits for filming, permits in the area cost four times more than permits in LA, and no permits were allowed on Carbon Beach (where this house is located, because it is a gated community).  So, it speaks to the influence of the Bells that they were allowed to shoot anything on site.

Edited by j swift

• Members

This home is not my taste, but completely in line with Bill and Maria. Maria is huge in the LA contemporary art world. 

It’s so sad to see that the kids sold all of Lee’s properties. They stood-in for show settings for decades. I am surprised no one wanted to keep it out of those memories. 

• Members

The thing is the children all had their own homes that were equally as luxurious, if not more so.

Lee's home in Malibu is the one on which the original Forrester beach house was modeled. It's located in the Malibu Colony. Lauralee has a home in the same community just up the street. 

Brad's Malibu home is the exterior used for Steffy's house with Finn. Barbara Streisand is his next door neighbour. 

• Members

Those folks have always had really nice houses.  Bill Bell was always fairly dismissive of his "weekend cottage" at Lake Geneva.  A few years ago, I was up there and saw this two-story 1920s mansion with a red-tile roof on the south shore of the lake.  I commented to the folks I was with, "That's sure a pretty one."  It looked to be about a 15,000 square foot house, and it had a tremendous amount of lake frontage (about 100 yards, it looked like).  The response was, "Oh that house is Casa del Sueno; it belonged to this guy who wrote soap operas.  His wife had a talk show in Chicago.  They moved to California in the 1980s."  Didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who that was.  

• Members

I kind of assumed that Beyoncé and Jay-Z are going to tear down the house and only bought it due to the location. Maybe it's the those early Tina-designed Destiny's Child outfits that skewers my opinion, but I've never taken Beyoncé for the minimalist type.

• Members

Bill and Lee's 'weekend cottage'

Please register in order to view this content

Yes. Her Bel-Air mansion is very close to where Brad and Bill Jr.'s are. She bought her neighbours house for $10.5 million some years ago only to demolish it, expand her backyard, and build a guest house.

And she has 2 homes in the Malibu Colony. One on the beach side and one on the land side.