Bill Bell Jr. and Maria Arena Bell sell Malibu mansion to Jay-Z and Beyonce

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Real estate is the appreciating-value, return-on-your-investment gift that keeps on giving (I'm a bitter renter, LOL). The Bells bought at the top end of the market and just kept on acquiring. Their homes were all magnificent, but in different ways. Sad to see a lot of them get sold off in a way, as some of these estates were intimately connected with the Bells' tenures at Y&R and B&B

Edited by Cat

• Members

Yep, that's the "weekend cottage" on Lake Geneva that was pointed out to me.

During the time they owned it, their "weekday house" was a large, expensive unit in a high-rise on Lake Shore Drive in Chicago.

I bet they made a KILLING when they disposed of their properties in the Midwest, then bought wisely in California and made yet another killing.  

• 2 months later...
  • Members

For those who were worried about where Maria and Bill Jr will rest their weary heads now that Beyonce bought their house, good news, they got a new one.

im-43618354?width=1299&height=866

They bought Brian Robbins' house for 20 million. That means that they still have 180 million left over from the sale of their Malibu home.  Thank goodness, because the Erewhon in Beverly Hills is selling smoothies for $30 a pop.  So, the Bells will need some pocket money.  Of course, they'll also need to remodel and decorate a bit.  Luckily, they scooped up this pad just as Pottery Barn's Summer Sale begun.  You know Maria, always shopping for a bargain.  She describes the 4,000 square foot mansion as a "jewel box", which should tell you something about the size of presents that Bill Jr buys for Valentine's Day each year. But, I guess the kids are grown, and they only require three bedrooms, (as well as a pied-à-terre in Manhattan, Aspen, and Newport). Finally, it is such good fortune that they sold the art to Jay-Z with the Malibu home, because their modern pieces would clash with the Regency style of their new estate.

BTW, I'm I the only one who still thinks of Brian Robbins as the kid from Head of the Class?  Every time I hear him referenced as the CEO of Paramount, I always picture him in the classroom with Robin Givens.

Couple Who Sold Malibu Mansion to Beyoncé and Jay-Z Pick Up Beverly Hills Pad for $20.1 Million - Mansion Global

Edited by j swift

• Members

The article you quoted didn't say Brian Robbins, the CEO of Paramount Pictures.

The article says the Bells bought the home of Brian Roberts, the CEO of Comcast which owns NBCUniversal.

https://www.mansionglobal.com/articles/couple-who-sold-malibu-mansion-to-beyonce-and-jay-z-pick-up-beverly-hills-pad-for-20-1-million-2ca8958d

Edited by janea4old

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I adore the classic crescent shaped patio around the pool and the bathrooms.  But, I don't like the kitchen and too much mid-century furniture always looks kitschy to me rather than tasteful (e.g. if you've got a sumptuous dining room, do you really want to see danish modern chairs?).  Now, would I take if they offered it to me?  100%  But, I hope Bill Jr & Maria strip some of the wallpaper and chose decor pieces that are more timeless, and less specific to a particular trend in decor.

I still get a chuckle out of Maria referencing the home as a jewel box, and I'm fascinated that it was originally built for Eleanor Parker (aka Baroness von Schraeder in Sound of Music). - thanks for finding the link.

Edited by j swift