Y&R May 2023 Discussion Thread

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Oh my God.  

Unless Y&R is secretly preparing to cut back to a half-hour, writing five, one-hour (give or take) breakdowns singlehandedly per week is nothing less than insane.

What's next, Josh?  Are you gonna fire all the dialogue writers, too?  As a matter of fact, why stop at the writing? Why not also fire the directors and direct every episode yourself?  Even better, you can dump the writers AND the directors and even all the male actors, so you can play all THEIR parts yourself?  "The roles of everyone without a vagina will now be played by Josh Griffith."

Jesus.  Firing one-half of your writing staff.  I haven't heard anything so unhinged since I listened to Vicky Lucas on WHERE THE HEART IS say she was glad Mary Hathaway and her "nasty little baby" were dead on YouTube.

• Members

Even worse, Josh decides to be REALLY bold and turn Y&R into the very first, semi-improvised soap opera on television.  He provides the actions for the actors through the breakdowns, but the actors themselves have to come up with the actual dialogue for their characters.

• Members

Yeah, except Eric Braeden already says "You got that?" and "I'll be damned!" enough times for it to be the world's longest drinking game.  I'd hate to think how much more often we'd hear those phrases (and god knows what else) if he were left to his own devices.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Eh today’s Neil tribute just fell flat. I was wondering why it took 2/3 of the episode before Malcolm made his entry. I mean it was good to see original YoHarmony and Malcolm here but the appearances felt ever so brief and abrupt I really couldn’t savor the moment. 

PS welcome back Khan! 

• Members

It's been a hard enough past year losing Jerry verDorn, Kathryn Hays, Lisa Brown, Liz Hubbard, etc. That march of time isn't going to get any easier for soap fans, so I cherish the folks we still have. I still worry about Susan Lucci, who had serious heart issues not long ago. Or Erika Slezak and Robin Strasser though they seem reasonably fit (Erika, as I expected, has admitted to hating retirement and is having a surprisingly robust career in primetime network guest spots, Hallmark, etc. while Robin recently guest-starred on Kristen Alderson's Twitch livestream, where Kristen taught her to play Mario Kart - Kristen drove Robin cross-country to get her COVID vaccine.)

• Members

Malcolm's show, which Mama Khan loves, has been cancelled, and he's got a new mouth to feed.  If I were Josh or Steve Kent, I'd be thinking about offering him a sweet deal to return to Y&R and fill the void that KSJ's passing and Victoria Rowell's unceremonious exit has left.