Y&R May 2023 Discussion Thread

• Members

Ehh given the fact Neil was completely destroyed when Pratt turned him into a bloodthirsty villain to which Neil was never able to recover from nor did any subsequent writers take the opportunity to redeem Neil and spent his last two years as a sad lonely caricature, I can accept the slight retcon/restoration to a pre-2015 Neil’s character. 

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

This was a year, in a 25+ history of the character. I do not think those sins outweigh Neil’s true character. 

I was the biggest AL Summer fan when she was mourning Phyllis, but Summer now being in on the deception is not doing the character any favours. All we do is see Summer sulk around town. Her nuanced performances as her mother died, has turned into one-note sulking that makes her look like she smelled something bad. 

Daniel and Summer have no reason to keep Phyllis’ secrets. They know Phyllis is a schemer and have called her out on it in the past. They would been better served not to be her co-conspirators, but the Greek chorus exposing her. 

The only good thing about this storyline is how it will affect Kyle and Summer, hopefully breaking them up. Both actors have more chemistry with other players on the canvas. 

I would love Noah to be brought into this story. Younger Noah had resentment about Phyllis breaking up his parent’s marriage. It would be an amazing commupence for Noah to expose the lie and manipulation. 

• Members

I just would like to understand Phyllis' goal in faking her own death.  Obviously, she's doing it to punish Diane, but...wouldn't that mean Phyllis would have to STAY "dead"?  Or, am I missing something?

To me, what Phyllis is doing is hurting herself and her kids more than it's hurting Diane.  I could be wrong, but I don't think she has thought this all the way through, lol.

• Members

There are only 2 ways out for Phyllis:

1) She actually finds herself in danger, like kidnapped for real by a back from the dead Stark

2) She does things unimpeachably heroic, like saving Harrison from imminent death 

If not, this is a “hate” and not a “love to hate” moment for the character. Dragging the kids into the storyline is doing her no favours. 

• Members

What’s missing is a storyline with an actual purpose. What’s showing up onscreen doesn’t make much sense. Phyllis, a character once portrayed as usually so cunning that she was generally steps ahead of everyone else, didn’t think beyond a revenge plot against Diane to consider that she would jeopardize her own freedom and future by colluding with a known criminal and partaking in criminal activities?

• Members

I agree.  Phyllis' "death" has to backfire on her in some glorious way, or it's just going to make her look crazier than she already does; and instead of showing everyone how dangerous Diane is, she'll end up having everybody side with Diane against her!  (And if that's how Diane is playing things, then, well played, girl!)

• Members

I find myself inventing stories and subtext for this show, as it is severely lacking. The only interesting aspect of Daniel’s clash with Summer as it illustrates, writ large, the argument of “nature vs nurture”, with Summer being a product of being raised by Phyllis, while Daniel (exhibiting some sense of conscience) is obviously a product of being raised by Danny Romalotti.